Cleaning out a water heater

What's the best way to clean out an already detached gas water heater? Should I shove a hose into the cold water inlet & let it wash out the drain? Or should I remove the anode and clean it from there? And/or should I fill it about 10% with water and slosh it around with a few strong guys helping out? Any recommendations?
Thanks!
All of those will work. No science involved. I'd open the drain and inject water until this no longer produced sediment. Then its time to do the slosh.

Most folks just pitch em out, and replace.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Priced doing that lately? :-(
About $200 for mine. Tall 30. I pitched it out one 26 degree day with blowing wind. My trailer has a water heater cabinet that opens out, and I was working in about 16 inches of snow. I used my snow blower to cut a path to the water heater. when I got the old one out, I snow blew some snow over the old carcass, so I wouldn't have to deal with it till spring.
That was a hell of a day.
I can get a tall 40 for about $150.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Gas?
Bob

Why do you want to heat hot water?

when they don't it is inexplicable.
Toller wrote:

Yeah, he should have asked "what is gas water"?.