Cleaning Manhattan shower doors

I have soap buildup/calcium on Manhattan glass shower doors and ammonia based cleaners take some of the stuff off but not completely. How can I get these doors sparkling clean without scratching the glass?

Ron

Reply to
Freedom55

You'd scratch the glass with abrasive or other mechanichal means, or maybe by chemically etching it (e.g. hydrofluoric acid). So don't do that, then.

Assuming you've a hard water problem, maybe in Manhattan KS, you might try one of the commercial products for removing lime & soap-scum. Gentle acids, typically.

Ammonia's great on grease, coffee stains, etc., but not everything.

HTH, John

Reply to
barry

ammonia

I've found PineSol to be pretty good for shower doors. Cuts through soap scum very well.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

According to Freedom55 :

Ammonia isn't very good at soap or calcium buildup. The "prepared" "soap scum removers" work reasonably well. CLR (or equivalent, like "ZEP" (Home Depot) calcium, lime and rust remover) work somewhat better (at the expense of being a little more dangerous).

[CLR and ZEP are moderately strong acid solutions. CLR is phosphoric/formic acid I think. ZEP is (mostly) a dilute HCl solution.]

In extreme cases, a carefully chosen muriatic acid (HCl) dilution may be necessary - assuming you check to ensure it won't damage anything, and provide _ample_ ventilation, breathing gear, skin and eye protection!

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's amazing. Just be sure to follow the directions.

Curly Sue

CLR works

Reply to
Freedom55

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:45:53 GMT, Freedom55 graced this newsgroup with:

also what works is a bottle of Spray and Wash. Just spray it on, wait a minute or two and wipe off with a sponge. Completely gets rid of soap buildup on glass/plastic shower doors.

Reply to
bounce