Cleaning In-Wall Drier Vent????????HELP??????

Page 2 of 2

Kenneth wrote:

People have been using water trap dryer vents for decades with no problems.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2213960_dryer-vent-kit-electric-dryers.html tells how to make one from a 5-gallon bucket, or you can buy them on ebay for 8 bucks or so.
--John
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:49:52 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Hi John,
I took a look at the link you provided.
If I understand the instructions correctly, the vented air goes across the water, rather than through the water.
Do I have that right?
If so, it would reduce the particulates, but certainly not eliminate them.
And that raises a question:
When you say "People have been using water trap dryer vents for decades with no problems" what leads you to believe that there have been no problems?
I'm not a "sky is falling" sort, but I do know that breathing the sort of fine particulates produces by a dryer is a serious matter.
You may certainly be correct in your assessment that the bucket technique is a good one, but the fact that it is done frequently does not tell us much about its actual safety.
I'd be interested in learning more about it if you might have further information.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 21:01:35 -0400, Kenneth

The indoor vent is a good idea for electric dryers if you want/need additional moisture and heat in your house. But still, indoor venting will add more dust than venting to the outdoors.
Phisherman wrote:

It's cheap, it works, try it, if you don't like it you've wasted very little. Set a clean smooth surface near the dryer, note what it looks like after a day not running the dryer. Then run the dryer and wait a day for the fines to settle and see what you get. If it's more than your comfortable with, then worry about it.
--John
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 08:39:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Howdy,
The problem is that the dust is of a form that can be a health hazard.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Thats why I havent done it yet? I havent figured an easy way to filter the air. I know of lots of ways to do it but not without a serious constuction project.
Jimmie
Kenneth wrote:

Nah, just quit clipping nostril hairs - unless you're THIS close to having enough for a sweater.

We had a similar problem with our dryer vent which was vented to come out the roof. We had a man come in and re-route it. ... the laundry room is next to the garage. The dryer vent now runs into the garage, then up to the attic and across ... coming out the fascia board. Works great now. Don't know what caused the blockage in the original way it was vented - but there is a clean-out in the garage if needed.
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:43:22 -0700 (PDT), infiniteMPG

Did you inspect the outlet? Since your end is on the roof it may be easier to clean it out from the inside. In your case I suggest buying a 4" diameter dryer vent brush made for this purpose and use it every 6 months.
Try here:
http://www.repairclinic.com
Sometimes insects or animals will build nests in vents. Check for wasps/bees before doing anything else. Install a 1/2" mesh hardware cloth over the outlet if necessary.
There have been some interesting posts here. The vent pipe in your wall should be rigid metal, so a wire brush should not harm it. If it is flexible of any material, replace it.
If you use a shop vac on "blow", then be sure to use it from the inside of your home.
Be sure to clean the inside of the dryer vent termination cap on your roof. Quite often, that is the source of the blockage.
Modern dryers are rated to push air through at least 25' of dryer vent. Be sure to deduct 5' for each 90 degree elbow.
Good luck with this project.
Alisa Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com