Cleaning Gunk From Bearings: What To Use ?

Hello,

Trying to get the gunk and dried up grease out of motor bearings. Unit is eons old, and armature won't turn easily anymore.

Tried Liquid Wrench, and also soaking in gasoline.

Neither seems to dissolve the stuff.

Anything better ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

I assume you mean a ball bearing...if sealed, pop the seals off and soak in fuel oil, brush, and blow-out the bear. Don't spin it dry with air! Re-pack and replace the seals.

Reply to
bob_villa

Is the race actually *visible*? Many bearings are *sealed*.

Consider simply replacing the bearing? (what's it in?)

Reply to
Don Y

Try using a detergent solution soak . Grease is oil and soap , if all the oil is gone you're left with the hard chunks of soap that it was emulsified with . You might try using an ultrasonic cleaner , but on low power . Some believe the ultrasonic waves cause damage to the bearing elements and races . I don't know , I have no experience with ultrasonic units .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hi,

Thanks for help. What a terrific Group.

Should have mentioned: The "Brg. is a Bushing/sleeve.

Bob

-----------------------------

Reply to
Bob

Ditto, for all the trouble cleaning it and not a guarantee it'll last. I'd just get new set of bearigs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do a search for Ed's Red. It is a gun cleaning mix of something like kerosene, auto transmission fluid, varsal, and acetone.

Just an equal mix of kerosene and ATF usually works well for clening.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Mineral spirits.

Reply to
KLayton888

Well, gasoline should ought have done the job.

I've also used spray can brake cleaner from the auto parts store. Kerosene or diesel fuel are hydrocarbon, but don't evaporate as fast as gasoline. Small chance that acetone (nail polish remover) might work.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mix in some lacquer thinner.