Cleaning Gunk From Bearings: What To Use ?

Hello,
Trying to get the gunk and dried up grease out of motor bearings. Unit is eons old, and armature won't turn easily anymore.
Tried Liquid Wrench, and also soaking in gasoline.
Neither seems to dissolve the stuff.
Anything better ?
Thanks, Bob
On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 3:03:51 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

I assume you mean a ball bearing...if sealed, pop the seals off and soak in fuel oil, brush, and blow-out the bear. Don't spin it dry with air! Re-pack and replace the seals.
On 10/4/2015 1:03 PM, Bob wrote:

Is the race actually *visible*? Many bearings are *sealed*.
Consider simply replacing the bearing? (what's it in?)
Don Y wrote:

Ditto, for all the trouble cleaning it and not a guarantee it'll last. I'd just get new set of bearigs.
Bob wrote:

Try using a detergent solution soak . Grease is oil and soap , if all the oil is gone you're left with the hard chunks of soap that it was emulsified with . You might try using an ultrasonic cleaner , but on low power . Some believe the ultrasonic waves cause damage to the bearing elements and races . I don't know , I have no experience with ultrasonic units .
--
Snag

Hi,
Thanks for help. What a terrific Group.
Should have mentioned: The "Brg. is a Bushing/sleeve.
Bob -----------------------------
On 10/4/2015 4:03 PM, Bob wrote:

Do a search for Ed's Red. It is a gun cleaning mix of something like kerosene, auto transmission fluid, varsal, and acetone.
Just an equal mix of kerosene and ATF usually works well for clening.
On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 1:03:51 PM UTC-7, Bob wrote:

Mineral spirits.

Mix in some lacquer thinner.
Greg
On 10/4/2015 4:03 PM, Bob wrote:

Well, gasoline should ought have done the job.
I've also used spray can brake cleaner from the auto parts store. Kerosene or diesel fuel are hydrocarbon, but don't evaporate as fast as gasoline. Small chance that acetone (nail polish remover) might work.