Cleaning grout

What's the easiest way to clean bathroom tile floor grout ?
desgnr wrote:

I recently started using Scrubbing Bubbles on shower tile and it works very well. Even used it on the kitchen floor :o) Hubby is mechanic and the shower gets a coating of black grease on the floor - takes that off nicely. Our shower tile is quite old, and it seems like the glaze on the center of the floor is a bit worn so that dirt sticks more easily. Spray it on and let it work for a bit before rinsing off.
Norminn wrote:

Yabut he asked about the grout between tiles. Does the stuff do a good job on that?
Lou
LouB wrote:

The whole thing - walls and floor, tile and grout. Now, if someone starts making a brush that is wedged so it cleans corners, I'm all set :o) My regrout job wasn't perfect, and there are a couple of little defects that harbor mildew in the corners.
Norminn wrote:

I stumbled upon a battery powered brush in the Auto dept at WalMart for $10. Lools like an oversized powered toothbrush.
Lou
desgnr wrote:

Dunno. But after you GET it clean, put about 37 coats of sealer on it.

Black areas are likely mold. I would take laundry bleach and mop it and leave it for 30 minutes, then after its dry try something like Lime Away, CLR, a mild acid that removes lime scale. If that doesnt do it a scrub brush and TSP, if you still are not satisfied there are tools to cut into new grout.

A bleach solution will remove mold/mildew. Household ammonia will clean most anything else. To be on the safe side wait a day between using these two cleaners, though. CLR is another good product.

The point being, if you mix these two, you get chlorine gas, which can kill you.

Use strips of kitchen paper towels. Soak them in household bleach. Lay the stips of paper along the grout. Wait 30 min (or more, depending). Remove paper. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and don't let the bleach touch clothing.
PeterL wrote:

Bleaching isn't the same as cleaning. Bleach will kill mildew, remove a lot of stains, but darkens some stains (rust). There is a lot of DIRT that isn't much affected by bleach.

I think we are talking mostly about stain, not dirt.
There is also a "bleach pen" type thing you can buy from Target or Walmart that does pretty much the same thing without the kitchen towel. But it's pretty expensive (about $3 that'll clean a relatively small area).
Flamethrower. Heavy on the napalm.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus