Cleaning glued-on shower drain

I have a shower enclosure drain that stinks. It clears quite well. Not clogged. I don't suspect that the vent pipe is clogged. However I do think that the shower drain needs a thorough cleaning because if I look at it closely, the walls of the drain pipe look black. I think 5 years worth of gunk is stuck to the walls of the drain pipe. The problem however, is that the drain stopper is not screwed but is glued on. How do I clean such a drain without removing the drain-stopper. Are "drano" type chemicals my only option?

Thanks.

Reply to
tedneeley

I have a similar problem with my sink's overflow drain. Go to a pharmacy and buy an ear syringe. Sometimes, they're marked as something for getting snot out of a sick baby's nose, so you'll find them with baby bottles. Fill with bleach, put in drain hole, and squirt hard. Obviously, you'll want to wear gloves, and put a rag between the drain and your eyes, in case you hit some unseen obstruction and the bleach heads in the wrong direction. You might have to repeat this, but at least in my situation, it worked.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There are some drain cleaners that foam to clean the pipes.. That might work.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Phisherman

Even though it's glued in, is there a hole in the center for a screw? Tub drains often get clogged with hair and the strainers need to be removed so you can get in there with a long pair of tweezers (or dynamite). It's hard to believe the manufacturer of the drain didn't make provision for a screw-on strainer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Do NOT get a "use for baby" ear syringe.

Or at least take it out of the box and squeeze the bulb.

One brand of them contains some kind of a "structure" within it (you'll feel it through the rubber) -- I find that type to be unusable.

Rather, get one that is just a bulb-with-nozzle, that when you squeeze it, it compresses-in such that the two walls touch. THAT type you can use.

Better, they come in two sizes, one about 1.5 in diameter, one about 2.5 or 4 inches diameter. Get (or have druggest order) the bigger one.

MY use for the things is for squirting into my nose.

There's this stuff, "Alkalol" (AL KA LOL), a "mucus solvent", about $3 per 16-oz bottle; you mix it three waters to one alkalol, add a wee bit of salt to make it less alkaline (recall how your nose can burn/hurt inside when you dive into a pool that doesn't have enough "acid" put into it (recently) -- solves that problem.)

Stuff works like a charm!

I put head *down* over a sink, squirt in some of it, "snort" a bit (gets it into the sinuses?).

A real life-saver!

Lets you walk around (or sleep) without that thick crud going down the back of your throat, making you cough, etc.

David

Reply to
David Combs

In article , JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

Oh yes they do!

Like with a super-el-cheapo pre-built complete-with-faucets,etc shower stall.

Yep. No fun.

David

Reply to
David Combs

I would try a bucket or two of very hot water with a little Dawn and a little bleach. I just cleaned the sink stopper in my bathroom of the hair and attached slime .. only a month or two accumulation .. worst, slimiest stuff there is. You can also fish in a narrow hook of some sort (bent stiff wire or crochet hook) to see if there is hair hanging on the drain. Drain cover plastic?

Reply to
Norminn