Cleaning exposed copper pipes

Hi. Finishing my basement. The hydronic heat pipes loop around the basement's ceiling, along the perimeter, feeding all the radiators on the floors above. I was thinking of shining up the pipe and spraying on a clear-coat. What's the best way to clean a copper pipe? I could take sand paper to it... but that would be ALOT of work. I read a suggestion of using CLR (Calcium Lime Rust). Would like to know if others have tried cleaning for the same reason, and what worked/didnt? All input appreciated. Thanks Theodore.

There are some good commercial copper cleaners on the market that you just wipe on, let stand, wipe off. Any supermarket, home store will have them.
Don't use abrasive paper as it will make a lot of scratches.

CLR will work. So will anything else that is mildly acidic...vinegar, lemon juice, catsup. Navy galleys used to clean the copper stem tables with gallon cans of catsup.
On 7/16/2016 6:56 AM, dadiOH wrote:

before spray painting. 3,000 PSI pressure washer might work, to remove the cleaning agent. Make sure it's dry before painting. Then, the clear coat will work better.
Wonder if a truck stop or auto detailing place might have metal polish?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 7:57:27 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Let me see if I understand your post correctly.
You are suggesting that the OP use a 3000 PSI pressure washer to rinse copper pipe that runs along the perimeter of a basement ceiling.
Just curious...do you see any downside to that method?
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 9:28:02 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1 ROFL
I'm also wondering why with a finished basement the pipes are going to be exposed. Typically you don't just have copper pipes, there are usually waste pipes, electric cables, HVAC, etc and if you have those, I don't see the point to shining up the copper.
On 7/16/2016 8:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Good question but a possible answer is just what is it that's exposed?
I was recently in a home (vintage 1954 - 1957) with hydronic heating. In the basement which was not finished in the sense we're talking about, there was a finned copper pipe running the length of the basement centered (on each side the of the center I-beam). Pure and simple, in addition to feeding the hydronic baseboard units on the main floor above, these served as radiators for the basement. They were not flush with the floor joists thus indicating that it was intended that should the basement be finished and a ceiling installed, that these would be below the finished ceiling.
I can't recall ever seeing a similar setup.
On 07/15/2016 10:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And when a pipe joint starts leaking, how will you get the clear coat off?
On 7/16/2016 8:39 AM, Buster Hymen wrote:

I'd leave them alone too. Why waste effort on something cosmetics are not going to make look a lot better?

Tell yer missus they look fine just like they are.
Remind her that the antiqued/natural look is very big currently among rich folks' interior decorators, not to mention it's good for the environment, beneficial to the children, and will help save both the whales the rain forest
--
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot
and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?