cleaning dog pee from carpet

what's the best way to clean dog pee from plush carpet? i'm currently using orange scented pinesol.
After years of experience with all kinds of carpet and multiple dogs, the best combination I've come up with is white vinegar and water to remove the odor, then Spot Shot to remove the stain.
There are enzyme cleaners, such as Nature's Miracle, that some people say help with the odor. My experience is that unless you can soak the area and keep it wet for several days, the enzyme cleaners don't do much. Depending on the size of the spot, you might be able to get it wet, put plastic wrap over it, and then weight it down with a book or something. I found white vinegar seems to work just as well, and faster. Also, enzyme cleaners sometimes cause yellowing.
Spot Shot comes in a blue can with an orange lid, in the carpet cleaning products section of the store. You can actually see the stain fade as you spray it on.
Jo Ann (and two Welsh Corgis)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

They most return to the soiled spot.
Is there anyway to remove the soiled carpet and replace it with new?
There's only one thing worse than dog damage and that's not having a dog :)
Well put!
Jo Ann
neilyoung_at_heart snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On 15 Nov 2006 12:26:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Go to one of the pet sites, like futurepet.com. They sell products specifically for that.
I have a male cat that sprays. We've tried everything with him, including putting him on Prozac without much success. I don't know how similar dog urine is to cat urine, but we use Natures Miracle to clean up the cat spray, and it works very well. One thing that really helps is I bought a black light at a novelty store in the mall, and use the black light to illuminate the urine (it will glow bright green under the black light.) Then as I spray the Nature's Miracle on it, I can literally see the bright green glowing areas start to retreat and eventually dissapear.
I know a previous poster said that Natures Miracle didn't work well for them, and it could be the difference between dog and cat urine. But I find it does work extremely well for us. The biggest problem is that you have to use A LOT of it, and the stuff is very expensive.
Good luck!
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Is the male cat neutered? If not, you are fighting nature and the cat's instinct.
Al Bundy wrote:

Yeah, he is neutered. He was neutered at a young age, when we bought him from the pet store. He's just always acted very "male" despite his neutering. We've even tried putting him on female hormones (as in birth control pills.) We've never been able to break the spraying problem. When he passes, I have vowed never to get anther male cat.
I am busy looking for a recipe for Male Cat Stew.
Bob the Brewer wrote:

On 16 Nov 2006 08:05:37 -0800, neilyoung_at_heart snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Would you settle for roasted?
This recipe for "Roast Cat as It Should Be Prepared" is from Ruperto de Nola, Libro de Cozina, 1529: The translation is not mine.
************ Take a cat that should be plump: and cut its throat, and once it is dead cut off its head, and throw it away for this is not to be eaten; for it is said that he who eats the brains will lose his own sense and judgement. Then skin it very cleanly, and open it and clean it well; and then wrap it in a clean linen cloth and bury it in the earth where it should remain for a day and a night; then take it out and put it on a spit; and roast it over the fire, and when beginning to roast, baste it with good garlic and oil, and when you are finished basting it, beat it well with a green branch; and this should be done until it is well roasted, basting and beating; and when it is roasted carve it as if it were rabbit or kid and put it on a large plate; and take the garlic with oil mixed with good broth so that it is coarse, and pour it over the cat and you can eat it for it is a good dish. ***********
Goedjn. (Everything's good with garlic butter).
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I say get rid of the carpet and walk the dogs more often.
Lawrence wrote:

That's what I did.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

1) get rid of dog to avoid recurrence
2) replace carpet
Why does dog pee gotta stink so bad? Seriously, I've never smelt any urine as bad as that of our canine friends.
Not too mention, it's so dark yellow-orange.
I'm sticking with fish... and least they take care of their own wastes.
?! I can only assume you haven't smelled cat urine!
Jo Ann
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On 16 Nov 2006 05:50:53 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

If it's orange you dog has liver problems.

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Good Point: get your dog to the vet right away.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Put the dog in a meat grinder, bake remains at 375 for 6 hours. Sprinkle said remains on stain and add paint remover. That might get rid of the smell, but Im no expert.
Before you cook your cat, you should look into the following two links for the Carpet & Rug Institute. They are the "think tank" behind the floor covering world and can help you with tried and true methods to keep your carpet clean and to remove pet stains. The first is to their home page, the second to their page on pet stains. Good Luck
Reagan Echols The Floor Source
http://www.carpet-rug.com /
http://www.carpet-rug.org/drill_down_2.cfm?page=5&sub=3