Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors

Anyone have any good methods? I tried creosote cleaner, but I still have to scrub with a green scouring pad to get the junk off.

Thanks,

M.

Reply to
Michael

Any kind of liquid cleaner. Spray it on and spread it around on the glass. Let it set a few minutes. Rub it with a balled up sheet of newspaper dampened with the cleaner and dipped into the fireplace ash.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

oven cleaner

Reply to
wayne

Mineral spirits would probably work - I used to use ms to remove tar. Be sure, if you use mineral spirits, that all traces are gone before you light a fire. I know you know better - just had to say it :o)

Reply to
norminn

Washing soda. Available in most grocery stores in the same section as laundry detergent. Dissolve 1/4 cup in a quart of warm water. The goo will wipe off.

Doug Miller

For the glass on a wood-burning fireplace, the unbelievably simple solution is to use the wood ash itself. Dip a wet paper towel in the ash, rub it on the glass, dissolves the stuff in about five seconds. Wipe it clean with another damp paper towel. Way easier/cheaper/eco-friendlier than anything else I can think of. As I said, unbelievable.

D.

Dennis M. Straussfogel, Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering Consultant

Reply to
Dennis M. Straussfogel

Single edge razor blade followed by windex wiped off with yesterday's newspaper.

Reply to
Larry

soap, water, and newspaper.

Reply to