Cleaning Cement

How would you suggext cleaning cement in the basement to get it ready to paint. pets have been in the basement and they have went to the bathroom on the floor and now we want to clean it deeply and then paint the floor. what do you all suggest? Thanks

Reply to
Brandon Herlein

This is Turtle

Any Concrete cleaner with Meritic acid in it . Now first use soap like Caster Cleaner from Walmart , you know the purple soap in a 1 gal jug. This is cut the grease and the the Concrete cleaner will cut deep to clean it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Yup, good advice. Only, it's mUratic acid, not mEritic. NBD unless you have to find it by name on a list or something. Simple Green's another good product for removing built up grease & dirt; helps a lot. It's not mandatory to clean with something else before the muratic acid, but it's the best way since things can go unnoticed if you're not careful.

Muratic Acid: READ the label before you even open the container! There are differeing concnetrations of it, so read the label on EACH container if you end up with more than one or are given some or whatever. You'll need: to have READ the instructions ventilation synthetic gloves non-metallic pails if you plan to use anything to hold a mixture in. ALWAYS mix to the recommended consistancy on the label for the job youjr'e doing.

You will NOT be sorry you used the muratic acid. BTW, it's called "etching" the concrete when you do that.

Then be sure, as already said, to get paint meant for concrete or the coat won't last long and could be very slippery. Always follow directions on the labels.

Don't store muratic acid near anything valuable. Even in a closed container it can effect metal and wood nearby. I keep my bottles in a plastic tub on my shelving. Buy it by the gallon usually & it's inexpensive.

HTH

Pop

Reply to
Pop

TSP TriSodium Phosphate

Reply to
Ken

TSP is a great cleaner for cement, but it is not available in all areas. The DIY stores will have other products marked for cleaning concrete. Most are OK, but if you have TSP available in your area, I suggest using it. Be careful. Also do a good job. The results you get will be directly related to how well you do the cleaning. Do it half way and you would be better off not doing anything.

Be sure to use a paint that is marketed for painting concreter floors.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan