Cleaning Brick

I have an old fireplace in the house that needs cleaned. When I try to clean it with soap and water, it leaves a white haze on the bricks like cement dust that has dried. Anyone got any ideas on what to use. I am told that these bricks once were pavers on a street and were taken up about 50 years ago and used to make this fireplace. They are in good shape except for the dirt.

Thanks,

LJ

Reply to
Old_Boat

muriatic acid is standard for cleaning masonry.

Reply to
marson

Try hot water and lots of ammonia, it helps cut the grease/soot better than soap. If you don't have to open the windows you are not using enough ammonia.

Reply to
RayV

Try technical reports at

Art