Cleaning battery contacts?

I have recently revived an NEC VCR but I had neglected the remote and leakage has left the blue corrosion on the contacts in the remote. Is there any way to clean the contacts without wrecking them?
TIA,
Nathan Z
--
Replace "invalid" with "net" to despam

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore --Yogi Berra

Try Scotch-brite or a knock off.
Nathan Zimmerman wrote:

Usually it damages the plating on the contacts and the metal underneath. You can try using a rough cloth to remove most of the gunk and they try a pencil eraser. If that almost gets it, try an ink eraser.
I suggest that you may want to get a third party remote. I got a Philips - Magnavox and it works with just about anything electronic and only cost about $25.00. Even if you can get it working, it might be a good idea to get the third party unit. I can eliminate the clicker clutter and it gives you a backup. Keep the original. If there is a feature that is not already programmed into the Philips, you should be able to program it by letting the new one learn from the old one. I would not trust the old one too long even if it appears you have it cleaned up.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

common household vinegar;the "acid"(leakage) left was from an -ALKALINE- battery,not really an acid,but alkaline(base).
Rinse well and dry,don't flood the remote and get water or vinegar inside it.Use a Q-tip,small paintbrush,or an acid brush to apply the vinegar.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The spring end can be harder, but I think in one case, I folded some tin foil (aluminum foil) 2 or 4 layers and placed that down so that it touched the clean part of the original contact and the battery touched the foil.
In another case, I soldered in a new piece of "tin".
Bigger problem when you can't get at the contact, like the bottom of a flashlight.
on a related thought.... carbon zink or alki batteries in general
When these little costly batteries are brand 'new' , and just before installing batteries in your favorite toy, you wipe the contacts clean on your shirt tail...
Q; If you were to not wash your shirt within a reasonable time would you have holey damage ?
thanks.

No,you're just wiping off oxidation,greases or oils. If there's any sign of real leakage,don't just wipe it off and use the cell,discard it before it damages your item.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks...it's a good idea.
Nathan
--
Replace "invalid" with "net" to despam

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore --Yogi Berra
SNIP

Thanks...I'll try that.
Nathan