Cleaning an oven

I have an electric stone/oven and want to use some oven cleaner, easy off or the like, but I think the oven must be hot? How can I heat the oven, then remove the element if it is hot. It is the bottom of the oven that needs attention. Or don't the oven have to be hot? Thanks, Tony
Anthony Diodati wrote:

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

OK, Thanks, I always thought it said something like "warm ovens clean best"

Anthony.
Despite the directions on the cleaner, I think "longer soaking", cold, works best. I spray my oven cold, wait a day, spray it again and THEN scrub it after that, 48 hours later. I use steel wool and damp paper towls to start, dry paper towl to get the last wet bits out.
There is sometimes a few gritty bits left over after which I spray one more time and soak for 24 hours and scrub one last time.
As for the racks, I put them in a garbage bag and spray them, 24 hours later it comes off easy over the tap with steel wool and an old rag.

wow ... sure glad I have a self clean otherwise I'd be spending all week cleaning her.
Mike

LOL, yes, you should be glad and I'd love to have one. In reality the man hours are very low, it's mostly just waiting. I probably spend a total of 1 hour of actual work between spraying and scrubbing, just can't use the oven during the 3 day soaking sessions.

whatever, but I don't want to fool with it. Tony
Anthony Diodati > wrote in message ...

You don't want to fool with the self-cleaning oven (which consists of turning it on) but you want to fool with Easy Off. I take it you haven't cleaned a lot of ovens then. I predict that after cleaning it by hand a couple of times, you will want to use the self- cleaning feature, and BTW, I would check the mfg of the oven to see if you can use the oven cleaner on it since it's self cleaning. :-)
Cheri

I saved this post till to my hard drive till I can get to it, hopefully this weekend. Thanks, Tony

you want to use on a "self-cleaning" or "continuous cleaning" oven, is an Easy Off type of oven cleaner. Self cleaning heats the oven up to near 900 degrees and literally incinerates the built up grease on the oven walls and Continuous Clean types have a rough looking surface rather than smooth porcelain and clean "somewhat" by catalytic action at temps over 400 degrees and only works somewhat on greases and not on starches such as over run fruit pies. On standard porcelain ovens, spray the Easy Off (according to instructions on can) on cold oven surface. Lift oven element up to spray under and avoid as much as possible getting any on the element. Element kind of hinges at the back and will lift up in front.
Tom G.

Easy Off has come out with a spray especially for self-cleaning oven, look for it at your local stores or check out the website as I can't think of the exactly what they call it.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:17:14 -0700, "Anthony Diodati" <mrbreezeet1NO

out just to clean the oven, hot or cold.
Next time line the bottom with foil (I should do that too**) I think there might be especially heavy sheets made for this purpose.
**Although mine is continuous cleaning. It never gets totally clean or even very clean but it never gets that dirty either.
mm wrote:

Your grocery store should have big aluminum trays for exactly this purpose. They're heavier than foil, and they fit the bottom of the oven.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I just use regular heavy foil, but there is specialty stuff, which I doubt makes any difference. I was warned not to have the element touch the foil and you may need to pop a thermometer in there as it can effect the temps a little bit (you may need to turn the temp a little higher or lower to hit your desired temp with foil in there)