Cleaning an electronic air cleaner?

I'm looking at my new furnace and AC options (local HVAC pros), some of which include electronic air cleaners, which require cleaning instead of new media.

I've not found what is involved in the cleaning process, can someone with a one give me some idea of what is involved? How big a sink? Blow it out with compressed air? Take it into the shower?

It isn't so much that I need it, but with birds that are known for dander, I will have to change, or clean the filters more often than "usual".

TIA

Reply to
John Hines

Yes a big sink soak, soap and water. Air Bear media filter well, change it once a year. April Air leak at the casing.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have Carrier electronic air filters, and I clean them in the dishwasher just like one is washing dishes. Or you can soak them in hot water with dishwashing detergent...both ways work.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Stiegel

There are several methods. Some can do into a dishwasher.

The one I had I used the shower to clean it. Yea, you but it's for real. The shower works.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I was thinking of the irony of taking an electronic appliance into the shower. I'm limited for sink space right now, but now I know what is needed.

Thanks one and all.

Reply to
John Hines

I have a White-Rogers electronic air cleaner in my return air duct and = used to clean the elements in a large sink with a special purpose spray = cleaner. Tried several cleaners but always found I had to spray and = leave each element soak 2-3 times before it got clean. Even then, they = never got really clean. Last time, I put them into the dishwasher with regular dishwasher = detergent and they came out sparkling clean. And worked well after. As the manual says clean in the sink with air cleaner liquid, and does = not say "do not put in dishwasher", I am wondering if the dishwasher = method will damage the elements. Any thoughts? Thanks

Reply to
Treetops

I'd guess that as long as you didn't run the dry part of the dishwasher, it wouldn't be a problem. The dry part might overheat the cleaner, warping (or worse) it.

Reply to
John Hines

Most manufactures (including Honeywell who was first on the scene with the F481050 series Electronic Air Cleaners) will recommend the dishwasher method. (Remove the top rack first.)

Soaking is the next best method. (Originally in 1970's the air cleaners came with a huge tub to soak 'em in.). It was a yellow tub with 10" sides. But it worked. LOL

The Electronic air cleaners work well, but you have to clean them often (since their efficient in removing material from the air.) There a pain for most people and usually hire someone to do it. Consider the next 20 years cleaning your air cleaner cells four times a year. Then consider a 4" media filter which can be change 2 - 3 times a year easily.

Reply to
Zypher