cleaning ac

what is the best way to clean the coils on outside ac unit? it is a Trane XL1200 installed in 1989 and still runs ok.

do i need to remove the sides and/or the top to clean, or can i just hose it from the outside without removing any of the panels?

Reply to
stevie

I cleaned 2 that I bought and had to take the outer housing off. They were both less than a year old but it looked like they had pigeons nesting on them. The exterior exchanger had crap and feathers stuck in it. I used a very tight nozzle that I modded to make it even tighter. I used soapy water and a very stiff scrub brush. Both work great now. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

A good sand blasting will do the trick. After you're done with that, make sure you change the thermostsat.

Reply to
Al Moran

is that an (unsuccessful) attempt at humor?

Reply to
CJT

Reply to
Bob

those tranes you have to take the covers off to get at it good, it has the funky spikes on a pipe type fins..

ds549

Couple different ways. Depending on the type of coils, you can use either a pressure washer (from the inside out) or coil cleaner. Wide angle fan spray does less damage to the coils. Straight stream bends the fins.

I know of three or more types of coil cleaner, different techs prefer different cleaners.

With any of the choices, you do have to take the covers off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon