Cleaning a steel roof

I have a new charcoal colored Galvalume 26-gauge steel roof on my house. I was wondering if I should expect some fading of the color over time. Will chalking occur? Do these roofs sometimes need a professional cleaning? There's a 40-year warenty on the Valspar coating.

Thanks!

Reply to
danmc68

Paint changes or fades over time, but you probably wont notice it.

Reply to
ransley

Just set aside your concerns and focus on mire important matters. The only repair your roof might need would be wind damage or bullet holes depending on where you live.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

What does the warranty cover? Rusting, discoloration, fading, oxidizing, chalking, peeling? Does the warranty require periodic cleaning, waxing :-) ? What do the installers say? Do you iron your socks? :-)

Reply to
1D10T

It's probably the same or similar finish as used on automobiles. Therefore:

  • Fading? Probably not.
  • Chalking? No.
  • Cleaning? Not as much as a car washing, but, depending on where you live, stuff from the air will settle.

On the other hand, it's a pretty big chore to wax the roof...

Reply to
HeyBub

Isn't this something you should have asked the installer "before" buying the roof?

Reply to
Doug Brown