Cleaned A/C Condenser, No Joy

Page 2 of 2
On 6/8/15 12:18 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I missed that possibility! When Boris said the fan shut off, I inferred that the compressor wasn't humming, either.
On 6/8/15 12:06 PM, Boris wrote:

[...]

I suppose an infrared thermometer could be as cheap as $10 these days. It won't get good readings from some metal surfaces. If you put a single layer of electrician's tape on the metal, you can get a good reading.
If it happened to me, I'd be interested in temperatures at four places: each side of the drier and each side of the evaporator. The tape on the high side of the evaporator (the smaller tube) should be far enough away that the temperature of the evaporator won't affect it much. Maybe 3 feet?
I'd take my first readings after 5 minutes, when the unit was working well. I'd expect readings along the high-pressure line to be slightly warmer than the outside air.
I'd take a second set of readings after 30 or 35 minutes, when presumably something was causing the compressor to run hotter.
If the high-pressure line was hotter now, that would seem to show that for some reason the condenser wasn't cooling properly.
If now there's a significant temperature difference across the drier, that would seem to show you need a smart guy like Stormy to replace it.
If the temperature on the high side of the evaporator is about normal but the temperature on the low side isn't as cool, that would show less circulation of refrigerant. A problem in the expansion valve could account for it.