Clean water in Africa

Page 7 of 8
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 20:04:48 -0500, The Daring Dufas

for most. It's not a good situation even for "whitey" with diabetes.
Chronic malaria, Bilharzia, and malnutrition means many have 3 strikes against them before they reach age 5 (if they do). And that's not including what is in the drinking water.
Sanitation is another serious issue - building proper privies AND wells in Wast Africa would make a huge difference in human health. In East Africa and Central Africa the general higene seamed a lot better.
On my trip last spring to the Mediteranean, North Africa, and the Canary Islands I think the worst conditions I ran across were in Marseille France - worse than Cassablanca - and some parts of Cassablanca were pretty rough. We saw the "underbelly" of Cassablanca from a mini-taxi we hired to take us around the city most tourists don't get to see - parts of the "old city" where even a minibus would not get through. Very Arab - yet also very African
On 6/17/2013 9:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I believe the thing that would save a lot of children is clean potable water. I remember seeing a video of relief agencies setting up medical clinics for children in order to give them a mega dose of vitamins to keep the infants from going blind. I can't physically do anything like travel to those areas of the world to help those folks and I have a little bit of money coming in but am suspicious of what agency actually uses donations for something other than TV advertizing to get more donations. With your experience, who do you consider a charitable organization that efficiently uses donations to help people? o_O
TDD
On Jun 18, 5:06 am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

You are right to be suspicious Duf. Many of these aid agencies are just self serving wonks/crooks. There are probably lots of people in the USA need assistance these days. You can help them on a personal basis and see where your money is going.
On 6/18/2013 2:19 AM, harry wrote:

I do help my neighbors and I've done a lot of work for churches. When I was hospitalized last May, the minister from my friend's church was my first visitor because I helped repair the AC unit outside their church after copper thieves cut out the copper lines. I donated time and materials even though I don't share their faith. They're just nice good people who have little but help others as much as they can. I suppose when I help a group of folks like that, I'm helping many others by proxy. ^_^
TDD
Needs silent alarm motion detectors around the AC. So the pastor and the Elders can run out and beat the copper thieves into the next world.
Big sign over the crucifix: Here is the king of the copper thieves. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I do help my neighbors and I've done a lot of work for churches. When I was hospitalized last May, the minister from my friend's church was my first visitor because I helped repair the AC unit outside their church after copper thieves cut out the copper lines. I donated time and materials even though I don't share their faith. They're just nice good people who have little but help others as much as they can. I suppose when I help a group of folks like that, I'm helping many others by proxy. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:19:54 -0700 (PDT), harry

but it doesn't have to stop there.
Now, that's a profound question. Which agencies are actually doing good for the Africans? I don't donate, because I'm suspicious.
The other question. Is foreign relief allowing the Africans to have larger families, who will grow up as dependants on foreign relief? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I believe the thing that would save a lot of children is clean potable water. I remember seeing a video of relief agencies setting up medical clinics for children in order to give them a mega dose of vitamins to keep the infants from going blind. I can't physically do anything like travel to those areas of the world to help those folks and I have a little bit of money coming in but am suspicious of what agency actually uses donations for something other than TV advertizing to get more donations. With your experience, who do you consider a charitable organization that efficiently uses donations to help people? o_O
TDD
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:11:17 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

An African woman in , say, Burkina Faso may have 8 children, of which 5 survive past Age 2, and 3 reach adulthood to be able to support her in her old age. Large families in Africa are NOT that common - unless you count the families of the MEN, who like in your religous backround, have many wives - they may father 30 or 40, of which 25 survive past age 2, and 12 to 15 reach adulthood.

Based on what you describe, there would be a population explosion if the relief agencies were effective. For example, 8 kids grow to adulthood instead of 3? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
An African woman in , say, Burkina Faso may have 8 children, of which 5 survive past Age 2, and 3 reach adulthood to be able to support her in her old age. Large families in Africa are NOT that common - unless you count the families of the MEN, who like in your religous backround, have many wives - they may father 30 or 40, of which 25 survive past age 2, and 12 to 15 reach adulthood.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:06:50 -0500, The Daring Dufas

proper ethical use of funds is the Mennonite Central Committee.
In the USA they are located at:
Mennonite Central Committee 21 S 12th St, Akron, PA, United States +1 717-859-1151
More information at mcc.org. Although they are a Christian organization, directly connected to the Mennonite and Brethren in Christ denominations, the MCC is a relief and development agency - not a mission agency - although, being a christian organization, everything is done in the name of Christ and to his glory. If that bothers anyone, I'm sorry. Sorry it bothers you - not sorry to be a part of the organization and it's supporting churches.

Ah. You get help ifyou gototheir church. Immoral, it should be unconditional.

unconditional. Doesn't matter if you are Hindu, Muslim, Amamist, or a total heathen with no concept of a God or religion.. If the need is there, they are there.
Mennonite Disater Service works the same way. They are still hard at work in New Orleans and can be found helping out after just about any major disaster in North America. A separate, but related organization.
After the floods in the Appalachians back in the seventies or thereabouts there were volunteers cleaning up in Elmira and Corning New York areas and in Kentucky for over 2 years..
After tornados in southern Ontario, I was on a cleanup crew for several days near Woodstock - the crew was busy there for several weeks.
They are currently on the ground in Shawnee Oklahoma., Bastop Texas, Birmingham Ala, Braithwaite La, Crisfield Md, Cordova Al, Far Rockaway NY, Joplin Mo, Minot ND, Staten Island NY, and West Liberty Ky. as well.
Mormons have also been known to go pitch in and help out, without bothering to ask which (if any) church a person attends. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

I forwarded it back and forth to the other lists. My sincere thanks to her for a good idea. And please consider joining her list. ======================== The great Dollar Store survival challenge!
You are at your day job, which is 18-20 miles away from your home. The PA system comes on, and announces that there is a terrorist threat, and that the building and all the vehicles in the parking lot are under bomb threat. All employees are instructed to leave immediately, but not to go to their vehicles.
You try to leave and go home, but traffic is completey gridlocked with wrecked and disabled vehicles, (other companies have been threatened too). The car, not an option. Unfortunately, that means you can't get to your bug out bag.
So you are on foot, 18-20 miles from your home and family, and you need to get back ASAP.
You set out on foot. You have nothing but the clothes on your back, and the normal random pocket contents.
OK...so now we have the basic scenario in mind. As you're beginning the long trek home, you pass by a dollar store. You decide to try and buy what supplies you still can for your long walk home.
It's wintertime, and it's starting to get dark. You shiver as you dig through your pockets and come up with $15. You enter the dollar store, to see what you can find. We'll assume the tax rate is zero, you can buy 15 items.
So get to it, and see what you can get for $15 at the dollar store to help you get home some dark, cold night.
What did you buy? And why?

[...]
On 6/18/2013 12:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Heck, I don't care if I help a church group who's faith I don't share. All I care about is whether or not they're good nice people and any of the Mennonites I've ever met gave me the impression that they were good folks. I've always told anyone who tells me they're a good Christian, "Don't tell me how good you are, show me how good you are." ^_^
Interesting note, I've never seen a flashy TV or print ad for The Mennonite Central Committee. Funny how that works. o_O
TDD
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:36:26 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I generally don't talk about religion or my beliefs on the forums. In general it is counterproductive - but I was born and raised in a Christian home, of swiss german mennonite ancestry (8th generation North American), and raised in the mennonite church. That doesn't make me any better than anyone else, but it is a large part of who I am. ANd I'm not ashamed of it.
I just don't feel I have to advertise it. It is not so much what or who I am, as it is what has made me what and who I am.
Not perfect ( as anyone who knows me at all can attest) but a work in progress - "but for the grace of God. . . . . . "
On 6/18/2013 7:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

As far as I know there are no Mennonites in my immediate family but there are Roman Catholics, Jews and outer space aliens on one side and Southern Baptists, Methodist, Druids and a bunch who live in caves worshiping some sort of fungus that glows in the dark on the other side. The last bunch are Cavebillies who never evolved into Hillbillies moving out of the caves and into manufactured housing and living ON the hills instead of IN them. I'm everyone's cousin because Italians and Hillbillies will mate with anything so my kin have probably nailed a Mennonite sometime so we are probably cousins too. ^_^
TDD
One of the ways you find who your friends are. Some folks quietly approve or disapprove, and some will slam. I'm glad you're Christian. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

NOT THE OLD JUNK Many of us can remember as children how our CB toy walkie-talkies did not work any better than tying a couple of tin cans together with a piece of string. Fortunately, the new FRS walkie talkies are far superior to the old CB walkies that ran on 9 volt battery.
The FRS radios of today are quality, compact transceivers which transmit and receive over greater distances while providing superior voice clarity. They operate on UHF radio frequencies which are not as prone to the usual static and interference which has traditionally plagued the CB frequency bands.
USES FOR FRS These FRS 2-way radios represent another choice for keeping in constant touch with members of your group. The uses include for example talking to campers when they roam from the base camp. Or, when members are exploring areas ahead of the unit for safety and advanced information, when hunting for food or for general communications between several BOV's that are traveling together.
ABOUT FRS There are several advantages associated with the FRS radios over the more common CB radios or even cell phones. These advantages include no airtime charges, no per call charge, freedom from static and interference, they are compact and lightweight and easy to operate. Sadly, they are also over used at places like malls and ammusement parks, and it may be tough to get a word in, edgewise.
FRS is commonly known as Family Radio Service. The FRS band has 14 channels. Their legal maximum power is 500 miliwatts or 1/2 watt.
Unlike citizens band radios there is no license required for use of FRS radios and you will encounter no fees for its usage.
GMRS Closely associated are the General Mobile Radio Service radios (GMRS) which have 8 channels of operation. Their power rating is 1 to 5 watts with a maximum power of 50 watts. These radios are similar to the FRS radios except that the GMRS radio requires you to purchase an operator's license, they usually have a greater range, and they may be outfitted with optional car antennas to extend their range. You can easily communicate with any additional users of either the FRS or the GMRS radios if the operators are within range regardless of the make or model of the unit.
PRIVACY CODES Often you will hear the term "privacy codes" mentioned when reading ads for FRS radios. This is a misleading term since the privacy codes do not encode or scramble the transmission. Anyone with a cheap "no code" radio can hear everything you say. Or, a walkie with the privacy code set to "0" can hear all transmissions. Privacy codes prevent you from hearing the other person who is yelling at you to shut up and move to a different channel, or he will find you and beat you senseless. The 38 or more CTCSS quiet codes allow you to pick a combination of channel and code so you can filter out other peoples transmissions. You might not hear other people complaining that you are hogging the channel. The advertisements say that instead of having a mere 14 channels to choose from by using these sub-channels you can effectively have 532 available channels. This is nonsense. There are only 14 FRS channels, regardless of what the advertisements say.
FEATURES There are many features often found on the FRS or the GMRS radios such as a built in GPS system, weather band, Backlight, Adjustable squelch, a VOX system hands-free operation, Auto scan and more.
As you can ready see these personal communications devices can provide a great service to survivalists and should be seriously considered. POWER SUPPLIES

I generally don't talk about religion or my beliefs on the forums. In general it is counterproductive - but I was born and raised in a Christian home, of swiss german mennonite ancestry (8th generation North American), and raised in the mennonite church. That doesn't make me any better than anyone else, but it is a large part of who I am. ANd I'm not ashamed of it.
I just don't feel I have to advertise it. It is not so much what or who I am, as it is what has made me what and who I am.
Not perfect ( as anyone who knows me at all can attest) but a work in progress - "but for the grace of God. . . . . . "
On Jun 18, 3:20 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Heh Heh. I have travelled extensively in Morocco. It is now a major European tourist destination. Think Mexico only less violent/more culture. For the moment anyway There are far worse places than Casablanca. And better. Casablanca is pretty untypical.
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:16:57 -0700 (PDT), harry

Ah, health problems. I dumped Lenny after he got me sick three times in a couple months. Twice off a sick kid, and once when he fed me a salmonella burger that he knew good and well was tainted.
Part of the reason I don't go to Africa, I can't be getting sick like that. I've heard that Africa is host to a wide variety of diseases, in larg part because they don't understand microbes.
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Even something as common ad diabetes is pretty much a death sentance for most. It's not a good situation even for "whitey" with diabetes.