Clean water in Africa

Page 4 of 8
I've heard of towns where the white man came in and drilled a well. The natives have no concept of microbes, so the ox and ohter animals congregate around the well. The microbes from the ox plop get into the well, and everyone promptly gets wicked case of diarrhea.
Friend of mine describes the condom issue. The relief worker woud demonstrate rolling on the condom "like this" while wrapping his index finger with the condom. The natives would roll a condom on the man's index finger of left hand, and wonder why the pregnancy rate is going up.
Aparently, the natives are good at driving stolen Jeeps, and firing stolen battle rifles. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I recall reading about deep wells dug by relief agencies to provide clean potable water for villages in Africa containing dangerous levels of selenium. It seems that every time someone tries to help, another problem crops up. One charity group provided tractors but no fuel so the villagers sat on them making vroom vroom sounds and taking the parts off of them to make necklaces and decorations. A European agency sent condoms to help prevent the spread of aids but the things were too small
so the condoms wound up being used as balloons. One group sent powered milk to provide a good source of nutrition but they didn't realize that most adults in Africa can't digest the milk so the milk wound up being used as whitewash to paint homes and fences. No good deed goes unpunished. ^_^
TDD
Metspitzer;3078821 Wrote: > I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns

Living in a first world country, it's hard to understand the problems faced by people in third world countries.
Much of the problems of Africa arise from the fact that many African governments are extremely corrupt.
For example, the President of Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, won an election in the early 2000's by sending people out to the country side (where he is detested) to register everyone who is old enough to vote. However, the people doing the registering told everyone that what they were signing was a pledge to defend Robert Mugabe in the event the USA invaded Zimbabwe just like it did Iraq in the second Persian Gulf war to get rid of Saddam Hussain. Consequently, almost no one signed the voter registration lists, and so only Mugabe supporters were able to vote in the election.
And, with Mugabe paying the army well, he stays in power.
With corruption like that, no companies want to invest money developing Zimbabwe's natural resources because they're concerned that their investment can be lost with the passing of a corrupt law. That puts the brakes on foreign economic development, and everything else follows. With little industry in the country, there are few high paying jobs, and little need for universities to train people to fill those jobs. So, the countries depend on agricultural exports to sustain their economies and often corrupt government leaders take most of what little money that brings in.
So, it really all starts with corruption and snowballs from there. Law and Order, like we have in the west, Europe and most places in Asia is critical to economic development, and it's something that's lacking most places in Africa.
--
nestork

On 6/15/2013 10:15 PM, nestork wrote:

Isn't Chicago turning into a third world country? ^_^
TDD
Hmm. Gun violence, and corruption.... might have a point. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Isn't Chicago turning into a third world country? ^_^
TDD
You were writing about Africa! I thought you meant Chicago!
I've heard that the famines are mostly man made population control. The blond white chicks show up with a boat load of supplies, and can't understand why the skinnies with AK and jeeps won't let them go feed the stick figures. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]

But you still have to ask the legitimate question of why so much of Africa is like that. The potential for corruption exists around the world. Yet most countries have figured out how to deal with it, eliminate it, control it, or at least co-exist with it. Yet after hundreds of years and a lot of aid from the rest of the world, most of Africa is a big mess.

So what are you "suspicious" about? Have you never been to a third world country?
The containers are scavenged and second hand. The sort of stuff you throw away every day. Old oil and fertilizer containers etc.
The problem in these countries is ignorance, corruption, political unrest and violence. They have no proper governance or economies.
And they are intentionally disrupted by the likes of the USA.
There is no solution apart from occupying and running them.

Speaking of ignorance, here we have the village idiot blaming the USA for "intentionally disrupting" Africa. What exactly have we done to disrupt Africa? Send them billions in aid? Food for the starving? What exactly would the purpose be to "disrupting Africa"? If they had even half way successful economies, we wouldn't have to send them aid and they would be another large continent that could buy products from the USA, benefitting both them and us. And as far as actual involvement in African countries, perhaps you should look closer to home at the UK and France.

And then you top it off with the above. Good grief, you're an imbecile.

Well you have sent arms and bombed them. You have destablised any regime that interfered with UScommercial purposes. http://www.geopoliticalmonitor.com/us-military-intervention-in-africa-4123

I can see that you're very easily led astray. Rational people would take one look at that link you supplied and laugh. It's titled "US military intervention in Africa". Yet it's all about the number of US military installations WORLDWIDE, US defense spending, China, Russia, etc. Not one example of the US intervening, sending arms, bombing Africa to take their resources, which is their principal claim.
Even for a commie pinko bedwetter, I would think they could come up with a better BS piece of work. But you fell for it hook, line and sinker. You think that just because they say it in the title, it's proven. It shows not only how stupid you are, but how stupid those who write this crap know you and those like you are.

Libya was one well known example where the US bombed in Africa. But you have a very short attention span. A lot of it is done "covertly" through third parties.
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 07:59:42 -0700 (PDT), harry

And France, And Portugal?
Took what they wanted, and when the poing got tough they just buggered off, leaving their mess behind them.
On Jun 17, 1:21 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Britain built the city illustrated. In America the Indians were murdered, put in concentration camps and ethnically cleansed.
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:59:29 -0700 (PDT), harry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concentration_and_internment_camps#Ind igenous_People
The USA has always had concentration camps and still has. More then a hundred throughout the USA and of course one in Cuba. http://www.greatdreams.com/concentration.htm
You don't even know current events never mind your own history. I hear you still gas people in some states. And "W" authorised torture. Now we learn your gestapo is spying on all your/our emails and telephone convesations.
The fascist state.
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:06:17 -0700 (PDT), harry

So which bit isn't true?
Oren wrote:

The Second War of Independence was the first in which electronic communications were spied upon. Both the Union and Confederate forces monitored telegraphic communications of their adversary during the Recent Unpleasantness.

Is that so? Full of your usual crap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Desert_Campaign
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 00:13:55 -0700 (PDT), harry

Ever lived and worked in Africa, Harry??? Didn't think so. And if you did you had your head so far up your backside you didn't see anything going on around you.
Yes, corruption is a large problem Political unrest sprouts from that - and with it, violence. Poverty is a bigger problem - some caused by corruption - but much by circumstances - unreliable rains, famine, etc.
Ignorance can be cured. It's called education. Education can help alleviate poverty - and also cut down on corruption and unrest.
Occupying and running them has not worked.
Educating them is definitely helping.
I've worked in 2 african countries - my daughter has been actively working in 3, and is leaving on Wednesday to check on projects in 2 more, where the agency she is working with is actively involved. She will be in Mali and Mauritania for the next month.