Clean water in Africa

Page 3 of 8
On 6/19/2013 9:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I believe Africa has a great deal of natural resources that can benefit the people there but those extracting those resources are operating without any oversight or environmental considerations for their mining or drilling for oil. I wonder if anyone in any of the governments is supervising the companies operations regarding pollution and other damage to the environment? o_O
TDD
I wonder if the slave ships are still running? They can bring slaves to the US, and we can send them liberal politicians for the back hauls. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I believe Africa has a great deal of natural resources that can benefit the people there but those extracting those resources are operating without any oversight or environmental considerations for their mining or drilling for oil. I wonder if anyone in any of the governments is supervising the companies operations regarding pollution and other damage to the environment? o_O
TDD
On 6/20/2013 6:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Chris, I have a lot of REAL African friends who would find that insulting. One hard working young man I know is from Nigeria and I asked him why he came to America? His answer was that it was for the opportunities for a better life. He went on to tell me there was no chance to get ahead in his home country like there was in America. He said "We have nothing, so I came to The U.S.". There are a lot of folks from Kenya here in Birmingham working in a number of different jobs. I encounter them working at convenience stores all the time and the owners hire them because they work hard and are very polite to the customers. I complemented one of the sweet gals from Kenya working at one of the stores on how polite she was to customers, teasing her that she wasn't mean like American girls. She said it was how she was raised. She was raised to be polite and respectful to other people. ^_^
TDD
Well, that didn't end up being what I meant to write. No intention to insult hard working africans, just trying to make light of US liberal politicians. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]

So... you're suspicious... about what...?

And a hammer to drive it into the ground?
Wells have to be "drilled". It's further complicated in the African bush because so few wells have been drilled there's nothing to suggest where -good- water may be found, and a lot of it that is shallow is bad. -----
- gpsman

Let's get this straight, you're in a home repair news group and you want to broach an off topic subject and all you know about it is "lots of pictures".
Ever "see any pictures" of pumps installed in Africa? I have.
Here's a picture:
http://www.toonaripost.com/2011/11/world-news/wateraid-release-new-report/
I've also seen pictures of modern African cities. You know they actually have cities full of modern office buildings in Africa too.
Another picture:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t '1198
They probably don't use hand operated pumps in most of those buildings.

You have no clue do you?
--
Dan Espen

Do you mean they have to walk down 20 floors and then back up, to get a bucket of water? That's terrible. They should move to ground level. That's why my mother wouldn't live in a tall building.
Maybe the rich people have someone to go get the water, but my mother wasn't rich.

Yep, it is terrible.
Maybe when Obama visits we can get some pictures of these poor people in the stairwells.
--
Dan Espen

I am sure they exist. Someone should show it to the women still carrying the water on their heads.
And.................why is pumping water into huts considered OT?

You don't either. Nairobi was built by the British when Kenya was a colony. Nowadays rapidly going down the tube. A real shit hole. http://www.kenya-advisor.com/poverty-in-kenya.html
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 00:20:09 -0700 (PDT), harry

Because the British (and the French and Portugese) just took over and ran things, instead of teaching the locals how to do things for themselves.
Yes, development in Africa is a vairy difficult subject - if it wasn't, not everybody who has tried in the past would have failed as dismally as they have - but progress is being made - one step at a time.
On Jun 17, 1:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

,

id.

.

Africa is going back to what it was before white men arrived. Almost there now. In America the natives were largely exterminated but in Africa they were not.

Since Livingstone never traveled on the Congo they wouldn't have had the chance. But then you always come up with fiction.
Stanley was an American who spent time shooting negros, in Africa sport he was no doubt accustomed to.

one

By that measure there are no Americans except the indians. The ones left that is after the various massacres.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:35:57 -0700 (PDT), harry

Still the VAST majority of Americans were born on American soil - of parents born on American soil, who died on American soil - and they themselves will die on American soil. A very large percentage having never set foot OFF of American soil - so yes, the RE American.

American enough to fight in the civil war. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morton_Stanley#New_country.2C_new_name
As American as Arnie.
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:18:44 PM UTC-7, Metspitzer wrote:

The women -- all are women -- carrying plastic water containers on their heads often have to walk miles to a source of water, risking rape along the way. If they had water in their village, your suggestion could work.
The plastic containers are extracted from the trash cans of the nearby cities. The natives are being good sacvengers.
I've heard there are at least a couple agencies trying to provide good water for the African natives. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
The women -- all are women -- carrying plastic water containers on their heads often have to walk miles to a source of water, risking rape along the way. If they had water in their village, your suggestion could work.

I'm not sure about that. This was 43 years ago, but I remember as I crossed from El Salvador to Honduras seeing women at the river below the bridge I was on washing clothes on the rocks. At the same time I would guess there were plastic buckets for sale in stores not too far away**. Unless someone in the family could make his own bucket, the cheapest thing might be to buy a plastic one.
**I saw them for sale in Guatamala City, and if I had time to go shopping, I would have seen them in San Salvador, only 100 miles from where I was then, and probably in smaller closer towns. All this stuff was sold at a casa plastica, where afaicr everything for sale was made out of plastic.
I know a man born in a small town on a hill in Poland about 90 years old now, who had to go part way down the hill to the stream to bring back buckets of water. He spent the war in Siberia, at the insistent invitation of the Soviets, and now lives in a house nearby with running water and central AC. Of course he paid a heavy price for that.

On 6/15/2013 2:18 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I recall reading about deep wells dug by relief agencies to provide clean potable water for villages in Africa containing dangerous levels of selenium. It seems that every time someone tries to help, another problem crops up. One charity group provided tractors but no fuel so the villagers sat on them making vroom vroom sounds and taking the parts off of them to make necklaces and decorations. A European agency sent condoms to help prevent the spread of aids but the things were too small so the condoms wound up being used as balloons. One group sent powered milk to provide a good source of nutrition but they didn't realize that most adults in Africa can't digest the milk so the milk wound up being used as whitewash to paint homes and fences. No good deed goes unpunished. ^_^
TDD