Clean water in Africa

Page 1 of 8
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic, modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.
Why not send some PVC and a pump?

Obama's Africa trip could cost $60-100 million
A presidential trip to Africa this month could cost the government anywhere from $60 to $100 million dollars, according to the Washington Post, which obtained an internal planning document for the travel itinerary.
At the end of June, Mr. Obama and his family will take an eight-day trip to sub-Saharan Africa, making stops in Senegal, Tanzania, and South Africa in the name of reinforcing U.S. commitment to forging strong relationships with emerging democracies in the region. The president will hold meetings with "a wide array of leaders from government, business, and civil society, including youth," according to a White House press release announcing the trip, and seek to "underscore the [his administration's] commitment to broadening and deepening cooperation between the United States and the people of sub-Saharan Africa to advance regional and global peace and prosperity."
Presidential trips to foreign countries tend to be expensive in any administration: According to the Post, former President Bill Clinton's 1998 trip to Africa racked up a bill of at least $42.7 million, not including what were likely significant Secret Service costs. For his part, former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura, took two trips to Africa in 2003 and 2008, involving significant resources as well. But the also paper reports that, due to "a confluence of factors," Mr. Obama's three-country trip could be "one of the most expensive" of his presidency.
"Obama's trip could cost the federal government $60 million to $100 million based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years, according to one person familiar with the journey, who was not authorized to speak for attribution," according to the Post. The paper said that it received the internal planning document from a "person who is concerned about the amount of resources necessary for the trip."
According to the Post, the expenses listed on the document include:
"Hundreds of U.S. Secret Service agents will be dispatched to secure facilities in Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania. A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, with a fully staffed medical trauma center, will be stationed offshore in case of an emergency.
Military cargo planes will airlift in 56 support vehicles, including 14 limousines and three trucks loaded with sheets of bulletproof glass to cover the windows of the hotels where the first family will stay. Fighter jets will fly in shifts, giving 24-hour coverage over the president's airspace, so they can intervene quickly if an errant plane gets too close."
Other sources of expense include the use of 56 vehicles and hundreds of Secret Service agents, according to the Post. The document, however, did not note specific prices.
Mr. Obama and first lady Michelle Obama had reportedly been planning to go on a safari in Tanzania, but the Post says that trip was canceled after reporters inquired into the cost and purpose of the trip.
At a press briefing on Friday, White House spokesman Ben Rhodes defended the trip, noting that "we have not traveled to Africa in the same way that we've traveled to other regions in the world" and that "Africa's a critically important region of the world."
"We have huge interests there... So for the United States to say, 'We're a world leader except in this continent' doesn't make any sense," Rhodes told reporters. "From a foreign policy perspective, in some respects, people believe this trip is overdue. And, frankly, there will be a great bang for our buck for being in Africa, because when you travel to regions like Africa that don't get a lot of presidential attention, you can have very long-standing and long-running impact from the visit."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57589236/report-obamas-africa-trip-could-cost -$60-100-million/
Throw on a couple bundles of PVC and a pump.

And a goat.

Bang for the buck? I'd like to see examples of the "very long-running impact" from any previous presidential visits to Africa. Sure some segment of the population knows what's going on, knows the president was there, etc. But as far as it having some long-running impact in these peoples lives or their countries? With the current budget situation, maybe it's time to ask the African leaders to come here. We could feed them lobster and caviar, put them up in the best hotels, and it would be a tiny fraction of the cost of Obama going there.
As for the scale of what's required for such a visit and the cost, one of the cable channels, probably Discovery, was in Africa when Bush visited. They showed what went on before and during the visit. It was amazing. Some examples:
Any fuel sources for AF1 have to be tested and then sealed and secured. In one country, they could not do that to their satisfaction. So, the AF brought in 7 large fuel tanker trucks, with fuel, aboard C17s from Europe to refuel AF1.
They take both 747's that serve as AF1. During the visit there was a volcano erupting and there was concern that the ash could be a problem. So, they had one 747 fly ahead of the other, checking the conditions. Seems to me if you want to check for ash, it might be better to send a cheap plane, but then, that's me. Apparently it's std practice to send one ahead to check for best flight levels, weather, etc, since they both have to go anyhow.
It really was an interesting show, to see all the complexity involved.
On 6/16/2013 11:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I wonder how far $100 million would go helping rural African medical clinics keeping "The Children" alive and preventing them from going blind by providing proper nutrition for the little tykes? Gosh, I imagine there are a lot of things $100 million could help fix like the storm damage done to the various communities around the U.S. o_O
TDD
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:00:07 -0500, The Daring Dufas

You could feed a million Africans for a few months, but that would spoil the First Family Vacation.
OTOH, I've read that food aid is spoiling in warehouses in some countries where the corrupt government is not allowing distribution or is selling it on the black market.
I've heard that most of the African famines are warfare, one tribe (who controls the warehouses) trying to kill off the other tribe of stick figures, who don't have warehouses. The Jeep and AK-47 Africans want the stick figures to starve to death and be done with. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
You could feed a million Africans for a few months, but that would spoil the First Family Vacation.
OTOH, I've read that food aid is spoiling in warehouses in some countries where the corrupt government is not allowing distribution or is selling it on the black market.
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:03:30 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Well, you hear wrong.
The famine causes the war in as many cases as the war causes the famine. When you have no food because someone else has all the good land, or the water, you fight for the good land or the water.
When multinationals take over the good land and water to grow coffee or pineapples or sugar cane to make money so there is no good land and water available for the common man to raise his maize or manioc or millet to feed himself, his family, and his livestock, you have famine. Blame the world bank, not the African.. And famine causes political unrest - which turns to war - the big man is a member of tribe A - which gets all the benefit of the multinationals money being pumped into the country - so tribe B fights to get their share.
And the world bank and the multinationals currently have the biggest influence on corruption too - they feed it on a daily basis.

Interesting information, thank you. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
The famine causes the war in as many cases as the war causes the famine. When you have no food because someone else has all the good land, or the water, you fight for the good land or the water.
When multinationals take over the good land and water to grow coffee or pineapples or sugar cane to make money so there is no good land and water available for the common man to raise his maize or manioc or millet to feed himself, his family, and his livestock, you have famine. Blame the world bank, not the African.. And famine causes political unrest - which turns to war - the big man is a member of tribe A - which gets all the benefit of the multinationals money being pumped into the country - so tribe B fights to get their share.
And the world bank and the multinationals currently have the biggest influence on corruption too - they feed it on a daily basis.

On 6/16/2013 5:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's a real shame when folks try to help the unfortunate but the despots and warlords who have seized control of those impoverished countries take all the relief supplies for themselves. It's one of those situations where your political beliefs may tell you not to interfere with the government of other countries but your conscience tells you to kick somebody's ass for what they're doing to helpless people, especially children. o_O
TDD
On Jun 17, 3:22 am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

They are best just left to get on with it.
On 6/17/2013 1:21 AM, harry wrote:

Well, there is the "Don't feed the bears rule." I suppose it applies to people too. Look at what welfare does which is similar to what happens in national parks when folks feed the wildlife. o_O
TDD
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:22:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Another problem with food aid is when cheap or free food is brought in from outside it kills the market for locally grown food when there IS a good crop - so the small farmer gets nothing for his cash crops and cannot afford to buy anything from anyone else.
When the small farmer can't get anything for his rice because the market has been flooded with free USAID rice shipped in from where-ever, he soon cannot afford to grow rice any more, so now the food shortage is even worse.
Food aid only when necessary, and help and education to allow the locals to grow and produce their own food, or to earn the money to buy food, is MUCH more effective.
Transportation is also a problem. Both for locally produced food and for foof aid. The food grows after the rainy season - and the roads are washed out by the rains to the point you cannot get trucks through to pick up the crops to move them to market. Then the food aid comes in, and the locals are out of food - the neew crop has not grown yet - and the roads are impassible to deliver the food aid to where it is needed..
It's a WHOLE LOT more complex than most who only see it from this side of the pond (wherever that may be) can even begin to imagine. Yes, there are societal and political reasons - but it goes a lot deeper than that.
African development is a very DIFFICULT subject. Much moreso than even south American, central American, or Asian development - all of which have their own issues.
You need to see the situation from within to even BEGIN to understand it.
On 6/17/2013 3:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So it is the White Mans fault after all. It's a conspiracy to keep The Africans enslaved. I suppose Whitey is afraid of a strong Sub-Saharan Africa so all the charity and religious relief agencies are being used to keep The Black Man down. They're not there to help even though they truly believe they're doing God's work. They're a tool of the evil multinational corporations which wish to steal Sub-Saharan Africa from the people who own it. Darn, we must let all the church groups know the truth so they can stop what they're doing. o_O
TDD
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:15:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas

That is NOT what I said - and you know it.
On 6/17/2013 9:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sorry, I was being ironic, no insult meant but I am disgusted with the rampant stupidity of those thinking they are really helping. There are some wonderful caring folks who do their best to save people in a bad situation but often cause trouble out of ignorance of the way things work and the way people think. In some areas of the world, a person's prized possession and something they may risk their life to protect is something as insignificant as a blanket. Insignificant to people in the wealthy developed countries but a priceless object to our Third World friend. o_O
TDD
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:54:23 -0500, The Daring Dufas

That's the kind of thing my daughter is trying to address and remedy in the projects she is involved with and the work she is doing in her Master's degree in International Development.
On 6/18/2013 12:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Your daughter is one of those rare angels. I would guess you're proud of her. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:11:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Proud of both of them, actually. My youngest had given up nn school - didn't know what she wanted to do - or what she would want to study if she went on to college. She got a summer job after grade 11 at the neighbour's insurance brokerage, and kept working through grade 12 - and on for12 years now - has all of her insurance credentials and is assistant operations manager now - on a good path towards partnership in the future if she wants to. I see her just about every morning as I look after all the IT stuff at the office where she works.
On 6/18/2013 7:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have no children that I know of but I've been adopted by a passel of them. I have an almost daughter aged 40, she adopted me when she was 6 months old. I was dating her mother when I met the rug rat and the munchkin crawled over to me, climbed up in my lap and claimed me. I almost married her mother and would have except for one thing, I couldn't stand her or more correctly, I couldn't stand her bad habits. She smoked, drank alcohol and smoked dope. I've never touched any of that stuff and my gal called me a health nut before it became fashionable. She finally married a fellow with the same bad habits and I was at the wedding with folks thinking I was the little girl's uncle because of the way she was hanging off of me, she was about 5 at the time. Anyway, the guy my gal pal married is a nice guy. I'm going to have to look them up to see how they're doing since I moved away to another city 35 years ago. ^_^
TDD