Clean My Elec Stove?

I have a GE glass-top electric stove with a microwave and exhaust fan above it. It is getting as dirty as blazes all around the controls and dials, I imagine from cooking spatters and my grimy hands. Anyway, what would you people recommend to clean up this stuff? I have tried a few detergents and even alcohol, but nothing seems to work very well, if at all.

Thanks

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

What object are you scrubbing with?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:05:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Nothing yet - just a rag.

-G

Reply to
gecko

greenie and 409 or fantastic, first spray heavy then let it soak awhile

its best to keep after things like this and not give them time to build up and bake on.........

clean more often is way easier

Reply to
hallerb

Get a 2-sided scrub sponge and try the rough side along with whatever the stove manufacturer recommends. Some suggest Soft Scrub, but check first. There's also this product:

I use that to clean my BBQ.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

RTFM to see what is safe to use. Visit the GE site if you don't have a copy. A plastic scrubber and 409 should be safe. However, 409 may contain bleach which may remove the stove's labeling. Or you may be able to use oven cleaner. You have to RTFM.

Once you get the accumulated crap off, you have to make it a habit to wipe the splatter off every time you use the stove. Its a thousand times easier to wipe the splatter off before it dries up and petrifies. Think about using lids or screens to contain the splatter.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Remove all the knobs, they pull off and soak them. put paper towels over the stove and spray them soaking wet with maybe 409 so it can soak for hours and release the grease without drying, then scrub away. On burnt on stuff a New razorblade works.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks guys.

I should have added that I have a wife. Now how to get her to do suggested cleaning techniques. I guess not. I'll attempt some myself.

-GECKO

Reply to
gecko

Pansy. Do it yourself. You said "my grimy hands". Clean up after yourself like a real man.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

gecko wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Glass Plus(Windex competitor) works good for removing grease.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

What are the parts you want to clean? Stainless? Plastic, white or black? the glass top itself? If you can pull off the knobs, put them in the sink with dish detergent and nylon scrubber. Formula

409 is fairly good for greasy dirt. Fantastic is better, but tough on the markings on plastic knobs and dials. Be sure not to get water down into the guts while cleaning if you take off knobs - our cooktop got some burnt wires from doing that.

I use a razor blade scraper on the glass cooktop, new blade, very carefully. Finish up with Barkeeper's Friend. For greasy dirt, denatured alcohol works very well. I would not use it on paint or plastic. If there is just dried on crud, not greasy, lay a moistened cloth on it to soften it.

Reply to
Norminn

I forgot to say...... DON'T USE FANTASTIC ON GLASS. As always, read the manual and labels on all cleaning products.

Reply to
Norminn

Be careful what you use on the controls because some cleaners can remove the printing on them. I use Dawn dishwashing detergent and warm water.

Reply to
Phisherman

i USED Fantastic for grease stuff -- it was fantastic -- until they changed something a few years ago and it made me sneeze. It might not make you sneeze. I switched to 409, which came out about the same time and I figured was the same stuff. It works well.

I wouldn't use anything but a rag or paper towels. Bounty brand is more expensive but much tougher and worth it if you aren't just going to dab and throw it away, so here is a good place to use them.

I bought Dawn dishwashing detergent when it came out, and maybe it did cut grease in the sink but it made every one of my cuts sting, and I usually have several less than a day or 2 old. No soap had ever done that before, so I don't use it unless there is a lot of grease involved, although I didn't have much grease the times I did use it and don't really know that it's better. But since that is their main advertising point, surely it is better than most other products. I don't know if they have a separate surface cleaner or if it works well or if it stings too, but you wouldn't be putting your hands all the way in it, like a sink.

By being careful, and not cleaning that often :) I haven't scratched any of my appliances in 25 years, except that much of the white writing has come off the dishwasher top panel. I would take the rest off**, and it would look great, but I'm afraid I'll forget which position of the switch turns off the drying stage heater. Nothing looks crummier than a nice looking appliancne with a painted surface somewher full of scratches.

**I would rub it off with my finger tip. No chance of scratching.
Reply to
mm

I recently discovered Greased Lightning. Works very well.

Aspasia

[..]
Reply to
aspasia