clean drains

Hello, I have a house built in 1949 with cast iron waste pipes. I recently had them all snaked and cleaned out. I have heard that some bleach once a month might help keep the drains clear. I have strainers in all the sinks and tub to catch any hair, etc. But some does get by and I don`t want to use a harsh drain cleaner and I thought bleach was a good alternative. Is this true?? Thanks

I haven't tried bleach yet. I'm in a similar predicament myself. I haven't used anything very long lasting yet, but the foaming drain opener works well. Caustic soda works too, but it is rather harsh.
They make a drain cleaner that has enzymes which digest the organics in the drain (yummy). These are for drains clogged by grease and hair (as opposed to mineral deposits). They aren't harsh and seem to help. Bleach would kill the enzymes. I'm not sure if bleach would help clear a drain. Laundry bleach isn't even that strong for a drain cleaner. You might have sterile clogged drains. :-)
I'm thinking of designing a pressure washer attachment for drain cleaning. I can replace the drain plumbing inside... but I wonder about what's in the pipe on the other side of the foundation.
Swimming pool bleach is suggested as a stronger bleach than household for bleaching wood.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:32:26 -0400, "Olaf"

mo,
I read this hint in this newsgroup and found that it really works and is safe for septic systems. Bring a couple of gallons of water to a boil, preheat the pipes by running the hot water faucet for a couple of minutes, then pour the boiling water down the drain. This works great for tubs and sinks. Do NOT pour boiling water into the toilet.
Dave M.

Wouldn't want to melt the porcelain.

Crack the porcelain.
Yes, making pasta is good for the drains, due to the boiling water being put into them.