Class? Class?

No, I'm saying MS-Word doesn't COME with an English language spell-checker.

This deficiency, however, is a tempest-in-a-teapot for us. Posters on this group are erudite and accomplished. The occasional misspelling is, without question, due to a typographical error, not ignorance.

Reply to
HeyBub

When Steve provides more details about his problem, we'll know if this really is his problem.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, there's certainly a choice of spell-checking back ends under Linux, and different apps can be configured to use different ones - so yes, quoting the exact configuration is important. Windows is doubtless less flexible, but the OP didn't originally say that they were using Windows (they presumably have now, given the number of posts about Office 2007!)

... which reminds me, I really must fix spell-checking in Openoffice; it broke in an upgrade about 6 months ago and I've not got around to fixing it yet :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I assumed he was talking about the machine we was posting from, which claimed: X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

I googled French language Microsoft OE fix, and got all kinds of stuff. Seems like Microsoft is aware of the problem. I uninstalled '07 and reinstalled '00, and it works fine now. I only use Word off that program anyway.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Say what you will about AOL, but the spell checker still works. ;-)

I use Agent for newsgroups for a lot of good reasons beyond the spell checker. Not the least of which is Agent is a self contained program. It doesn't need to be "installed". You can put the whole thing on a thumb drive and use it on any computer without leaving any tracks. That is handy if you travel.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's not a Microsoft PROBLEM. Eliminating the English spell-checker was intentional, therefore it is a FEATURE.

No charge.

Reply to
HeyBub

Why didn't you simply install one of about 200 free spell-checkers? I use TinySpell and it spell-checks everything (Notepad, file-names, Word, Outlook, Excel, everything.). Admittedly, it sometimes gets in the way when programming. For example, it fusses when I use WAtermelon-U-8-1-2-Green to represent "Net Pay This Period".

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote

Because I am on a campaign to simplify my life.

Reply to
Steve B

According to Bergen record news paper, and I "Quote" You are not alone. This problem affects all who continue to use Outlook Express after installing Office 2007, which uses language modules that are incompatible with the aging e-mail program. It is possible to solved the problem with down loading Windows live E-Mail. (By the way which I do not like!)

Reply to
Grumpy

I sell copies of Office 2000 to anyone who wants it, for $20.00. :-) Works like a charm, no spell check problems.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Je ne croient que personne n'a signaler encore une r=E9ponse =E0 ceci en Fran=E7ais. Il serait tr=E8s dr=F4le. Est-ce qu'en outre, pourquoi personne n'a indiqu=E9 l'affiche que c'est l'endroit faux pour sa question?

Reply to
nielloeb

Don't use those abominations. Learn to spell. Spell checkers are limited in their ability to analyze and respond.

Reply to
Higgs Boson