clapboard exposure

I'm putting up , 1/2x6" finger-jointed cedar clapboards. (actual board width is 5 1/4") Nominal exposure seems to be 4". My spacing around a window would work better if i went to 4 1/4".
I'd appreciate opinions on whether this is too wide. I can 'go narrow', but that would create some other problems.
Thanks.
On 9/1/2013 10:33 AM, George wrote:

The 41/4 will be fine. It would be better to story out all situations and adjust the exposure well in advance. Check bottom of windows, top of windows, and any other intrusions. Check where you will course out at the top - you don't want to end up with some small rip.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

When I laid mine out, I designed it so there would be a 1-1/4" (5-1/4" board minus 1-1/4" = 4" reveal) strip against the soffits. That leaves a full board at the top. You're going to have to rip one board in any case.

If you get to the top of the windows and remeasure, you can often change the reveal to get a full board. Go from the 4 1/4 to 4 1/8 for a couple of boards, then 4" for the rest. Done in small increments it will not be noticed by eye.

I certainly don't want a full board at the top. That would be a 5-1/4" reveal when the rest of the wall is a 4" reveal. I don't want the thin edge of the board exposed, either. I'd rather have the narrow stip, so the full thickness (full board + 1-1/4" finishing strip) is against the sofit, allowing normal nailing of the top edge.
I agree that you can change the reveal, in small increments, to make it lay out right (and make up for any errors).

What is a "finger-joint" clapboard? All the clapboards I've put up are "lapped".

It's pushing it. The boards are going to get kinda thin. You might get some splitting. If it does, you have to remove both layers. If you're hand nailing this, I'd drill (1/16") pilot holes for the end holes.
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 17:18:14 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

I thought about that after I posted. IOW, they're intended to be painted. I'd just make sure the fingers aren't close to the end (at least two studs on each piece.
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:05:30 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

Not sure what you're getting at here, the paint or where to cut? That wouldn't change my caution to avoid splices at the end of boards.