Civil War woodworking

Since it's built of wood, I thought I would introduce the group to a project being constructed at the moment here in my hometown. It is a full scale replica of a Civil War gunboat that was built here in the 1860's to fight for the Confederacy. The remains of the original gunboat are also on display here by the State. This new gunboat construction was started as a private venture by locals. The idea is to promote Civil War tourism in the area, as there were 2 battles here within a few miles of town. These battlefields are also being preserved and promoted. In fact, I happen to live smack in the middle of one of them. I've often found bullets and shrapnel just digging in the yard for home projects.

The link is

Hope you find this interesting,

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Kewl. I greatly enjoyed the pics and the story. It's good to see a town come together to work on something of that nature.

Reply to
G Henslee

The boat is a full size replica, 136 feet in length, with a 37 foot beam. I have a book that was published on the boat titled " C.S.S. Neuse, A Question of Iron and Time." ISBN 0-86526-187-3, by Leslie S. Bright, William H. Rowland, and James C. Bardon..

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Thanks , nice pictures. I am saving it for my son when he comes over. He is involved in the civil war re-enactments. They have one here in Brooksville , Fl every January, plus other parts of Fl.

He is with the Pennsylvania 97th volunteer, drum and fife core.

PJ

Reply to
Pat

I might have missed this but are they using original old hand tools to build it?

Reply to
G Henslee

great - I went by to see the original about 20 years ago while on vacation - the first year the place was closed and the next year when I came by it was being renovated - but the guy working there took pity on me (I'm from Florida and made a special detour from I-95 jus to see the Neuse) and let me look around by myself.

Reply to
Tom

No, they are using modern tools and equipment.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Yeah, that's pretty cool!

It's a bit disappointing to me as a woodworker that there are no real explanations for what is going on in the pictures though.

I can relate to how you feel about the thing rotting for lack of funds too. We have a transportation museum hereabouts that is basically a cemetery for old vehicles in various pathetic states of decay. Some few of the exhibits are in good shape, but most of them are little more than a scrap heap.

Reply to
Silvan

We have a transportation museum hereabouts that is basically a cemetery for old vehicles in various pathetic states of decay. Some few of the exhibits are in good shape, but most of them are little more than a scrap heap.

Reply to
Charlie Self

For those interested, the full scale replica of the Ram Neuse II has now been opened initially on weekends for public tours.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash