City sues: Too many vegetables

"[DEKALB COUNTY, Ga.] DeKalb County is suing a local farmer for growing too many vegetables, but he said he will fight the charges in the ongoing battle neighbors call 'Cabbagegate.' "

Homeowner has two acres and has been growing vegetables for 15 years to give away and sell at the local farmer's market.

The city is correct in cracking down: vegetables are not food - vegetables are what food eats.

Reply to
HeyBub

Apparently, it's also what resides between your ears.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Oh, I thought this was about Congress. . . never mind.

Mark

Reply to
Mark M

NO, the title for that thread is "Too Many FruitCakes"!

Reply to
BobR

They have the fruits.

Reply to
krw

He's making to much money on the side that they can't tax him for. And giving that green stuff to people gives them gas and that is polluting the earth.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

There are many places in America where one can do all those things, and more. The fellow in the news article ran afoul of local zoning laws. I didn't read the entire article on that extremely annoying website, but I'd venture to guess that it looked like he was operating a farm in an area zoned residential.

Some places in the U.S have zoning; others do not. I'd be surprised if the UK doesn't have similar laws.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You can grow cabbages anywhere here, too. However, I couldn't set up a market garden on my two acres, because it's zoned residential. I could conceivably grow two acres of cabbages and give them to my friends.

I've never investigated what the animal regulations are in my area; I've got a policy against owning anything that craps. I'm pretty sure I could keep a few chickens, maybe a goat, but nothing bigger or more numerous. Just a mile or two south of me, it's zoned agricultural, and they have quite a bit more leeway as regards livestock.

I imagine that during WWx, there was a lot less regulation of land use. But my house wasn't built then; it was all farmland.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

And some places don't have zoning. Houston, for example. Every few years, some factotums from the Department of Housing and Urban Development swarm into town and do a "land use study." Invariably they find that land use in Houston doesn't differ much from land use in zoned cities: Heavy industry is localized, shopping centers are on busy streets, multi-family dwellings are on the same streets, single-family houses are clustered off the main streets. And so on.

Occasionaly someone will try to take advantage of the flexibility by opening a bodega in a residential area or a gas station on a scenic drive.

These rapscallions are dealt with rather peremptorily. A few years ago Shell Oil bought a corner lot in a ritzy neighborhood with a view toward putting up a filling station. The neighbors objected by cutting up their Shell cards and vowing to fight this outrage.

Include amongst these discontented citizens were such influential people as John Connally (former governor) and Robert Mosbacher (then current Secretary of Commerce).

Shell ultimately donated the corner lot to the city for a pocket-park.

Of course that resolution was the exception. In less classy climes, disputes such as this would be settled by firearms.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm not a turd scientist, but a lady would walk her small dog every morning along my lawn turf. Given the turd size I asked her if she was allowing her dog to mess in my yard. No, she said and asked me why.

"Ma'am"! "I've put down dangerous chemicals and it might kill your dog". No turds since...

Reply to
Oren

That's an excellent idea. Maybe I'll steal some of those warning things from one of the chem-lawn fools on my street.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Actually, parents shouldn't allow their human children to play on lawns that have been treated with dangerous chemicals. When your child or grandchild is invited to play on a friend or neighbor's lawn, I hope you will have the kid's welfare in mind, and politely state your case. Often the other homeowner did not know of the danger, and was glad to be alerted, so she can change her gardening practice.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Actually, parents shouldn't allow their human children to play on lawns that have been treated with dangerous chemicals. When your child or grandchild is invited to play on a friend or neighbor's lawn, I hope you will have the kid's welfare in mind, and politely state your case. Often the other homeowner did not know of the danger, and was glad to be alerted, so she can change her gardening practice.

============

Don't be so sure the neighbor will be glad to hear what you're telling them. I had a neighbor who asked "How can they sell it if it's not safe?" My current neighbor thinks the stuff is safe unless you're allergic to the chemicals. Based on that logic, a bullet in the back of your head is safe unless you're allergic to it.

Half of humanity reads nothing and is terminally, exquisitely stupid.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

None. I'm not as strident about being child-free as "h" is, but I've never been interested in having them.

Although it could be argued that you only borrow your children for a couple of decades.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Half? Half?! HALF!!!!! Where you been, dude! It's more like 99%, considering what the semi-literate, even in so-called advanced societies, "read", on the rare occasions when they view anything other than TV shows and commercials.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I stand corrected. Thanks.

False as to facts. Osama ben Laden has not eluded American searchers for the simple reason that we've not been looking for him! This notion is a canard promulgated by the critics of the Bush administration. Beginning the second week in September, 2001, it has NEVER been the avowed policy of the United States to kill, capture, or bring to justice Osama ben Laden. You cannot find a single sincere quote from a member of the Bush administration supporting such a conjecture.

When the emotions of 9-11 calmed down a bit, the avowed strategy of the United States was to prevent another attack on the United States or civilian interests abroad. Prior to 9-11, there had been about one major attack per year: The attack on the USS Cole, the WTC bombing, kidnapping and killing of US Ambassadors, attacks on our embassies, etc.

To implement this strategy of preventing attacks, tactics were developed to hamper, mitigate, or eliminate terrorist's training, communication, financing, sanctuaries, travel, and recruitment. For nine years, these tactics were spectacularly effective.

If during the pursuit of these tactics, OBL ended up dead, that would have been a plus, but killing or capturing OBL was never a goal.

Reply to
HeyBub

-snip-

C'mon- we just went through this in July. I gave you 'W' quotes from

2004 & 2005- McCrystal in 2009, Porter Goss in 2005.

McCain used capturing bin laden in his campaign- "I will follow him to the gates of hell. . . "

Here's the latest I heard on our desire to capture BinLaden by someone in the know- under both administrations- mid August, 2010 on meet the Press- " Petraeus said Osama bin Laden ?remains an iconic figure and I think capturing or killing is still a very, very important task for all of those who are engaged in counter-terrorism around the world.?

I'm not faulting anyone for *not* capturing/killing him. It is a near impossible task--- but it is still a goal & no matter how many times or how strongly you state that it isn't-- it still will be.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Politicians lie.

It's not reasonable to publically say "We're not really looking for OBL. We don't care whether he's hiding or teaching grammer school classes in Scotland."

Reply to
HeyBub

Petraeus? How is HE in a position to comment authoritatively on this subject?

:-) :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So do police officers. Go take a nap.