City fence limitations - how to overcome?

Page 2 of 2
You might appeal to replace or upgrade the existing fence, it might be grandfathered in!
One reason for setback rules is keeping good site lines for vehicles! suggesting something that does accomodate such concerns is very important
"Zootal" <nousenetspam at dead ice dot us> wrote in message

Sounds like you are out of luck. Do you think the rule might be for fire protection. A zone like this allows for a defensable barrior to fire should one move through your area. The city may also use this area as a universal easement for burial of utilities etc. when needed.
If the primary reason turns out to be primarily for cosmetic (a uniform look to the neighborhood) then you may have luck getting approval.
I suppose if you never looked into it, you could have "improved and repaired" the existing fence and nobody may have noticed. The existing welded wire fence is transparent and non flammable and you want to replace it with a wooden privacy fence, I suppose they might have noticed that.
How big is your lot?

The OP should just dig a goddamn moat around his property. Doesn't sound like anything limit how DEEP he can go, just how high.
What is the world coming to when you can't even put a fence where you want it on your own property?
Run for office? Change the rules from the top?
My property has a sewer eastment beween 2 homes. I was allowed to put up a 6 foot fence but if it ever needs removed for sewer work removal and replacemnents at my cost...
the best option is a low profile fence eplacement of the existing wire fence with something similiar and plead ignorance if caught. or you can hire a fence crew to do a FAST one day preferably weekend fence replavcement but know they might make you remove it......
another idea is call some local fence contractors and ask for opinions, they want your $ selling you a fence and no doubt have run into this rule before and will know best how to proceed...

I don't think this has much if any relevance for the OP. But where I went to JHS and HS, we were on a rather major but only two lane road, and the county owned enough to widen it to 4 lanes. There were no fences at all, but some of our neigbors planted bushes or put in a driveway lamp 20 feet back from the road, and others did the same things right up close to the road. The lots are maybe 200 feet deep. Some put in culvert next to the road and buried it, and some just left the original ditch. We were not the first owners, and we inherited culvert and bushes a foot or two from the road. We knew we would have no bushes after they widened the road.
There is much more population north of that house today, but the road still isn't that busy (there are parallel streets a mile away) and 49 years later the road still isn't widened. Spring Mill Rd. in Washington Township, Indianapolis between 59th and 80th St.
Zootal wrote:

Enforcement of building codes and zoning around here are totally unpredictable - depends on the phase of the moon and who takes a complaint :o)
Best bet is to make an alternative plan to present to the city; they may make exception, and our city does that routinely. A lower fence and some creative landscaping may give you close to what you want. Your lot is 100' x ?
says...

Yep. And it also helps to have some driving reason to need to place the fence there, other than anything that basically boils down to 'I don't like your code'. Some reason why you're uniquely and deleteriously impacted by the limitation. Or some reason why you're borderline - if, for example, your property size would have put you in a different category of restriction if it were slightly different.
If you don't have something like that - yes, making a plan with all the mitigations you can think of (lowering fence and/or landscaping like Norminn suggests) is your only hope.
What WON'T work is walking in with "hey it's my land I don't like your laws", no matter how convolutedly and nicely it's stated.
Banty

It's not convoluted to stand for your own property rights.

The rules are always very general, and corner lots present special problems. I found it was fairly easy to get an inspector to stop by and give me a variance for a fence which was, in theory, higher than the rules allowed. The OP may find it's equally easy.
On 11 Apr 2006 04:58:38 -0700, Banty wrote:

When my next door townhouse neighbors, a previous set from now, wanted to build a bigger deck, they showed up with the plans (which as a next door neighbor I had to approve) 4 minutes after the truck started unloading the wood, and they were going to start work immmediately.
I knew I would sign, but it annoyed me so I said, "Let me look at this stuff" and went into the house. I heard the wife saying "No one's going to tell me what to do with my own house."
I came out about 5 minutes later after signing the plans.
But get this: The wife was a lawyer!
The husband was a computer programmer and a nice guy.
I've had 3 pairs of neighbors where the husband was nice and the wife wasn't. And another whole household of females, 3 generations, where no one is nice.

It's the estrogen thing... Why do you think that another word for "complaining" is "bitching"?
"mm" wrote in message

Oh, forgot to add... http://www.geocities.com/grumman581/leading-cause-of-death.htm

We have a roughtly 125' x 125'. SE Corner of Oak and Franklin, if you are familiar with the area.
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:11:59 -0700, "Zootal" <nousenetspam at dead ice dot us> wrote:

Sorry. I only know the northwest corner.

Um....there isn't a NW corner :-)
Zootal wrote:

Tell the city you plan to hold nude vollyball tournaments.
"Zootal" <nousenetspam at dead ice dot us> wrote in message

As you drive around, make a note of some especially ugly commercial establishments. Then, ask someone from the zoning office what the going bribe rate is these days.
Unless there's a utility easement between the properties, you should be able to put the fence on the line after consulting with the neighboring property owner.
--
Steve Barker