Citronella Ants a precursor to Termites?

I spotted a swarm of what looked like Termites. So, I called up an exterminator and he came out. He said they were Citronella Ants. Most of the time, termites follow the same tunnels and the ants and that we should buy Termite protection. Then, I called for a 2nd opinion. The other exterminator said that there is no evidence that happens. And, that we didn't need the termite protection. Who is right?

Reply to
Herb Bowers

Let's see if I have this right. You called an exterminator and asked if you needed his services. The exterminator, when faced with easy money, told you his services were not necessary. Kind of surprised you need help figuring out which one is right. Let me guess, the first one was from a nationwide company, maybe starting with the letter O, and the second was a smaller company, perhaps local. Anyway, have you ever heard of google? If you go there and search on citronella ant termite you will find lots of useful information.

Chuck

Reply to
C G

Neither. Log onto

and see what they have. I used their "liquid ant bait" on my carpenter ants, and it worked great. They slurp it up, and don't come back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Storman you missed the point

Reply to
mark Ransley

Chris,

I followed your link and found a liquid ant killer but nothing specifically for carpenter ants. It's a poison for "sugar" ants. Is this the product that you recommend?

Thanks, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) spotted a swarm of what looked like Termites. So, I called up an :) exterminator and he came out. He said they were Citronella Ants. Most :) of the time, termites follow the same tunnels and the ants and that we :) should buy Termite protection. Then, I called for a 2nd opinion. The :) other exterminator said that there is no evidence that happens. And, :) that we didn't need the termite protection. Who is right? :) :) The only dealing with the first company should be contacting that salesman's manager and see if he finds this way of deceit an acceptable way of doing business. If you want more opinions from just exterminators you may ask your question here..

Lar

Actually, I did a search with Google. I found nothing that supported the first claim (but nothing that disproved it either). BTW, The second did say that their services were still necessary to get rid of the Ants. I was thinking that they could have been lying to me to get their feet in the door. Then, once termites were found, they could be there to 'save the day'. Of course, by that time, I would have been screwed.

Reply to
Herb Bowers

That's odd, the first one I looked at said they were harmless. It offered advice on how to eradicate them. Can't remember where it was though.

IF termites are found, you will need their services. Better sooner than later.

Reply to
C G