cistern re-filling noise doesnt stop.

Hi all.

I've noticed recently my toilet has been making a quiet sound of water refilling, even when full.

After a flush and a full refill of water into the cistern (loud) the unit makes the sound it does when refilling, but more quietly.

I take the lid off the cistern and the black plastic pump thingy inside sounds like its passing water or something, just queitly though, I cant put my finger on it.

Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
RK276

Inside there you will see a rubber flap that the chain pulls up to flush. Likely this is leaking water through ever so slowly. They do that sometimes. Get a replacement for this and you ought to be fine. This is an easy and cheap fix. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

More likely the fill valve I think. Leaky outlet (flap) valve tends to cause off-and-on filling noises.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

Is water flowing into the overflow pipe? Vertical pipe around an inch in diameter, usually has a rubber tube from the fill valve stuck into it of clipped onto it. If you lift up the float does the water stop?

If so, adjust the float to shut the water off at a lower level. If its a float on an arm bend the arm down a bit. Make sure its not binding anywhere. If its a float integral with the fill valve, move the float down on its guides (wire with a clip along it) a bit.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

--------- I call this the toilet tank. Cisterns are, ime, tanks on the roof to collect rainwater, for drinking and sometimes other purposes.

Maybe the language is different elsewhere, but this is how itis used in the Midwest and NE USA.

mm

Guys, the overfill valve (the black 1 inch hole where the water goes and then stops isnt the culprit. Once the toilet is full, it takes on no more water, so I think its not that..

Reply to
RK276

OK, but only one person mentioned that. Did you get the posts from Tomes and SJF. If not you can read them in groups.google.

No one** gets every post, because of flaws in distribution..

**There is some service that takes multiple feeds and combines them. I'm told that works well, but not many people have it.

mm