Ciruit Board Protection

Hi, Orientation of board is important as well. Right side up, on vert. vs. horiz. plane exposure to the element or under ventilated cover, etc.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Bad design and $5,000 to put in a new one that might have a better design. It belongs outside. Take a look at the link.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Vertical orientation. The old board had rust running down from one connection to the next, about five or six connections gone. It was in there two years unused. Now I have freezing weather and can't wait for shipped unit. If I have to replace it again it will cost double what I can find on the internet.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Had some problems with some German caps that were not totally sealed. From the board manufacturer had leakage that didn't work with the circuit which did not tolerate leakage. Had to replace each by hand. Even had board leakage under components. Switched to another type cap and got better washings, problems went away.

Deionized compressed air. I like that one. I think my solder station had that, and heated with temperature settings. Often used 100 watt bulb to bake boards.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Ever try LPS3 ? Waxy coating, but sticky.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Most anything that might have salt, coke, orange juice, etc. ASAP. Many electronics boards are washed to remove contaminants, sometimes in the dish washer. Today's boards mostly need water to flush the water based flux.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

In that case, I need to put my keyboard in the dishwasher

Reply to
Ron

I would normally talk to company for possible fixes. Sometimes we have to try to get the company to do a fix. They like a certain amount of repair in their products. Even if board is good, connectors will still have problems.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Honestly, if I dropped a soda on something like that, I would immediately drop an equal or more amount of water over the same area. This would not go over too well doing a gig.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

All our A/Cs have been packaged systems, but I don't think their circuit boards ever rusted much, although we're in Phoenix. I saw only one of their circuit boards, a defrost controller, and I don't believe it had any protective coating on it. So is it possible your board wasn't grounded adequately? Or would it help to attach its chassis ground to some zinc, even just galvanized screws?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Where I used to work, I was in charge of the computer system, among other things. (not programming or repair, just in charge of the personnel and computer purchase) People used to drink coffee or tea, or even eat while at the computer spilling all sorts of stuff on the keyboards. When this happened, I just replaced the keyboard. I took the old keyboard into the lunch room and flooded it with warm water and hung it to dry. When dry, I tested it and if it worked, returned it to the replaceable keyboard stack.

Reply to
willshak