Circulator Pumps

Still researching circulator pumps (pre wired). I've narrowed it down to Grundfos Circulator Pumps and Taco Circulator Pumps. I can find them cheapest online here:

Anyone had a bad experience with either brand before I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
plumbplumbplumb

Easy choice. Comparing a Fiat and a Mercedes. My house had Grundfos when I moved in. Many years (maybe 20+) later one failed and I had to replace it. I bought a Taco because it was readily available. I may toss (noisy) it and put a Grundfos back in. When it runs in the other zone I can hear it in my bedroom.

I bought mine at a local plumbing supply house and paid much less that the prices listed on the web site. Of course, it is a slightly different model and it was a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Sounds like the installer didn't install it properly.

I have installed hundreds of cartridge circulators (Grunds, Tacos, B&Gs, etc) and they are all basically the same. I have probably installled more Tacos than anything else and unless there is a problem with the loop (air, restriction, etc.), you cannot hear them running unless you have your ear right on it.

BTW, I have a 1974 Fiat that runs fine......

;-]

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Red Neckerson wrote: ...

Yea, but how about the rust. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

No problems there. It's "rust" colored....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Red,

I just installed a Grundfos UP 15-18SU/TLC that I purchased from

(Your link sounds cheaper)

I accidently installed the pump backwards while fiddling with the mounting situation, but once I corrected that it works great.

I chose the Grundfos because of it's stainless steel design (we have acidic water).

I'm not familiar with the Taco pumps, but my Grundfos is not exactly silent. It's not loud, but sounds just a bit noiser than our refrigerator when it runs.

It's possible the sound is amplified a bit because of the way I have the pump mounted (pump is bolted to a board which is screwed to a wall), but you can certainly hear the pump running. And yes, I have bled the air several times.

It's not a big problem for us, as the pump is located in our laundry room, but we still shut the door so we don't have to listen to the pump run.

In any case, the instant hot water at our distant shower is WELL worth the minor noise. It was taking over a minute to get hot water at the shower before we installed the pump!

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Had grunfos on my solar system, no worries

Try WW Grainger

Reply to
SQLit

On 26 Dec 2004 18:55:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote (with possible editing):

Same advice as Ed. I had a Taco and it was noisy as hell. Grundfos is a lot quieter - both seemed to work ok. FWIW, my plumber says Taco is just as good, but I don't trust him since he installed the Taco to begin with and told me that the noise couldn't be eliminated.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Could be, it was a direct replacement as far as fittings etc. but who knows? It did quiet down quite a bit after some months of running though. The Grundfos is not heard at all by my ears. I have to put my hand on it to feel it running.

I always wanted a Fiat X-19 but every time I talked to an owner, I was glad I passed on it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski