Circular saws: Which type to buy? Worm-drive or side-winder?

Page 3 of 3
Yea, I own them. I have never saved the knockout. I keep the 2 saws at different locations.
Anyway.
The Blade install is opposite for the two saws, backwards if you will. Please refer to the owners manual, page 8, for the Bosch. http://66.77.255.87/Images/BOSCHPDF/1678_pdf/PDF_MANUAL/2610912403%201-03%201678.pdf
And to Page 8 of the PC saw manual http://media.ptg-online.com/20040115124010_En900003-12-10-03.pdf
Now - Notice a typical Circ saw blade....
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/46200-46299/46253.gif
(I have never bought this particular blade, just a decent picture)
The teeth point to the left at the top of the blade. The arrows on the blade indicate a counter clockwise rotation. Put that on the PC saw label out. You put that on the Bosch, assuming it had a knockout, label IN. In other words backwards.
This is typical for blade left designs, I think. I know this is how it is for the saw I own. I'm not sure if that is the case with other worm saws as I have never changed a blade on any worm saw but my own.

No wrote:
<top posting corrected>

> > Anyway. > > The Blade install is opposite for the two saws, backwards if you will.
Okay, backwards, opposite, inside out... btw, if one doesn't save the diamond shaped knockout(s) they can be purchased so the blades can interchange between saws.
Good tip - I should keep one in the case for my PC, just in case I ever need it.

"No" wrote

Actually, in the trades if you mount a blade backwards, it's mounted backwards. A typical configuration when doing retro work and cutting aluminum/vinyl siding.
Josh wrote:

That's kind of where I was going when I questioned it...
Okay, I've got a burning question:
For those that use and love their skil 77 worm drive saws,
    How often do you change the gear oil?
I bought a garage sale skil 77 for $25 and got it running for another $25 plus a decent blade. The guy at the repair shop where I bought the parts said not to worry about the oil.
For what it's worth, I've got that old skil and one of the fancy lightweight Bosch worm drives. They are both made in the same factory now (in the USA). They both work great. They are heavy, but I am young.
One added benefit of the worm drive saws is that you can buy a special metal cutting blade and use them to cut through a steel I-beam. The blades are rather expensive though. Sidewinders spin too fast and don't have the grunt to do this.
Jeff Dantzler Seattle, WA