Circuit Breakers - Homeline by Square D?

I want to change out an HOM 1-pole breaker with an HOMT 1-pole breaker. (The HOMT is a tandem-type breaker that would add an additional circuit breaker to accommodate an additional circuit in the single space.) However, I cannot get the HOMT breaker to fully seat in the panel.
Is there any trick to getting the tandem breaker to seat? I have examined the mating surfaces and I cannot see any difference in design that would prevent full seating. I even tried plenty of force (which usually doesn't let me down).
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

This is Turtle.
Yea , Awwwww , You are putting the breaker in a spacer slot. Trade the breaker for the one above it or the one below it and it should slip in there good. Move it up slot up or down and it should fit.
The only time I really see this is When I put a 2 pole breaker in and will hit the plastic spacer bar. The reason I say this you can be hitting the plastic spacer bar even with a single in some cases.
Other than this try a bigger hammer.
TURTLE
Don't know if it's the same on HOM panels, but on most of the QO panels, only some of the slots will accept the tandem breakers, I think to limit the maximum numbers of circuits in the box. Try a different slot.
HTH,
Paul

Oscar_Lives posted for all of us....

toward the bottom of the panel the slots may look slightly different. This is usually noted by say 28 position 32 circuit designation or similar description.
--
Tekkie

This is Turtle.
You may be on to it here for I've run into this several time and I had to move breakers around to find one that would take the piggy back breaker in a Home box.
TURTLE

It should be on the label somewhere telling you which slots will take the tandem. Some panels will not take them at all.
Greg wrote:

My Bryant 200 amp panel label indicates the duplex slots by a dashed line through the slot boxes. ________ | _ _ _ | |_______ |

This is Turtle.
I should have done that but I've been using the theory '' When all else fails - Read the instructions '' .
TURTLE
Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement. I'll try it again this weekend and report the results! I have 29 more slots in my box that I can try!

Depending on the panel model #, some Homeline panels won't accept any tandem breakers. Other Homeline panels will only accept a limited number of tandem breakers. For example, if the panel is a 30 space/40 circuit panel, only the upper 10 slots will accept the tandem breakers. If the panel accepts tandem breakers you'll will indeed see a difference in the bussbar where the tandems can be installed. The tandem breakers have a shorter slot opening than the regular breakers........that's why you can't force them into a slot designed for a regular breaker.