circuit breakers

Does any brand 2 pole 15 amp circuit breaker fit a Square D or Cutler Hammer circuit breaker panel box (each about 6 years old)?

Reply to
Doug

If you mean are all circuit breakers interchangeable, the answer is "no", even all amongst the same vendor.

If you mean are there at least some non-OEM-manufactured breakers to fit at least some panels, the answer is "yes".

The panel will list the series of breaker(s) approved for it; look for one that is on that list.

Reply to
dpb

Cuttler Hammer makes classified breakers for SqD QO or Homeline panels. SqD says they are illegal, U/L says they are OK. Inspectors are split on it.

Best to buy the breaker from the manufacturer that goes in that panel. They are available.

Reply to
gfretwell

I agree that it is best to stay with the same company.

Almost any comapny is going to say to stay with their type as a liability issue. I was in a sells pitch on some industrial square D equipment and the salesman was saying one thing, but the manual said something else. You have to stay with the printed word for the lawyers.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If they're UL rated for the application, they're UL rated whoever is the manufacturer.

Of course any manufacturer is going to want to sell their product over the competitor's. Whether there's any advantage to the consumer is another issue entirely... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

So we mark you down as being OK with a classified breaker (made by one company but "classified" by U/L to go in another manufacturer's panel.)

The guy on the other side would say the manufacturer's installation instructions say you have to use their breakers so it is a 110.3(B) violation (not following the Mfg instructions)

Reply to
gfretwell

*Square D and Cutler-Hammer each have two styles of panels for the residential market.

Square D QO panels will only physically accept type QO breakers (1/2" width). Square D Homeline panels are only approved for Homeline breakers (1" width). Cutler-Hammer CH panels will only physically accept type CH breakers (Tan handle). Cutler-Hammer BR panels are approved for type BR breakers which are also made by Siemens.

As someone else said, it is best to read the label on the panel cover or inside of the panel to see what the panel is approved for.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Thanks. I didn't know this so I'm glad I took pictures of each panel. Now I hope I can read the important part in the picture or I'll have to revisit each again :( .

Reply to
Doug

*I was in the supply house last week when a guy came in looking for Murray circuit breakers. They don't sell Murray, but they carry Siemens which makes Murray and the breakers are identical down to the type and listing. The guy asked me where he could get Murray and I told him that Home Depot carried them. I also told him that Siemens was approved for Murray panels. He said that he put Siemens breakers in, but the inspector insisted on Murray and would not approve the job unless they were changed. The guy wasn't an electrician so I suspect that there were other issues going on and the inspector was driving home a point.

I've never seen a QO breaker made by Cutler-Hammer. The Homeline panel labels that I have read have only had approval for Homeline breakers.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Likewise, my local electrical supply place offered me an in-stock alternative to a Siemens Q-series breaker but asked me if it was going to be inspected. They say they're identical but some inspectors won't pass them if they notice.

It's the "per manufacturer's instructions" catch.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

The QO panels will only have approval for SquareD QO breakers. SquareD takes great exception to using classified breakers in its panels. No manufacturer will have classified breakers on their panel labels because that manufacturer has not tested the classified breakers.

CH product info for CH classified breakers (625kB pdf):

bud--

Look at the CHQ series

Like I said, you can find inspectors on both sides of this issue. Some say that if it is OK with U/L:it is OK with them. Others say the manufacturer's label rules. CH went so far as to come out with a label of their own that you put in the panel when you use their breaker with the U/L approval number.

Reply to
gfretwell

*Thanks for the info Gfretwell. I wonder how many supply houses stock them?
Reply to
John Grabowski

I bet that depends on whether your AHJ agrees with U/L or SqD.

It is really fun to be in an inspector meeting with a SqD rep and a C/H or U/L rep when someone asks about classified breakers.

The room usually divides about equally.

Reply to
gfretwell