circuit breaker replacement

I have a rental house that I suspect 1 or 2 circuit breakers gone bad. This house is near Houston. I already made an appointment with an electrician to look at it but before he comes, anyone have any idea what he might charge to replace 2 bad breakers? Panel is on the outside of house. I know how to do this but I don't want to do it for other reasons.

Reply to
Doug

In downstate NY for a minor service charge, which is less than 1/2 hour on the job, I charge $125 + tax. If the breakers are standard single pole I'll get $8 each

Reply to
RBM

If he is local, my guess is one hour of time at his regular hourly rate plus the cost of any circuit breakers that he has to replace.

It probably wouldn't hurt to either let him know in advance what type (brand) and size circuit breakers you have and what sizes you think you may need. Or, buy some of the same brand, type, and size at Home Depot etc. and have them there for him in case he needs to replace them. I am not sure, but I think you can always return them to HD if you don't need them if it is clear that they are still brand new and obviously haven't been used.

And, since it is an outdoor panel, I guess one possible issue or cause for the problems is water getting into the panel.

Let us know what he does and what he ends up charging for the service call.

Reply to
TomR

I don?t know about Houston but here in Pasadena California, you need to take out an electrical permit to replace a breaker. You?re lucky if you only have to pay for the electrician.

Reply to
akan626712

Thanks for the price check. I'm in Western NYS. I don't do electrical, but it's interesting to know what the trades charge.

.

In downstate NY for a minor service charge, which is less than 1/2 hour on the job, I charge $125 + tax. If the breakers are standard single pole I'll get $8 each

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most won't show up for less than $100. It is a quick job if he has the breakers with him. My guy is $75 an hour. Most tradesmen in our area are $60 to $90 plus travel time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Will do. And if I forget, feel free to remind me !!!

Reply to
Doug

Appreciate the info !!

Reply to
Doug

Thanks Ed.

Reply to
Doug

Afraid? I am not an electrician so I won't try to replace the breaker while the box is hot, like they do. I have replaced breakers in my panel a few times.

  1. Turn off the main breaker. Result: No electricity to the box.
  2. Pull out the bad breaker. Result: a hole where the breaker was.
  3. Put the new one in. Result: You filled the hole.
  4. Turn the main breaker back on. Result: The circuit should work.
Reply to
willshak

Thanks Bill but for other reasons I won't do it but I'm NOT afraid. I've done a dbl pole once or twice on my own house and watched my dad replace a MAIN breaker, years ago. The MAIN might make me think twice but in a pinch, I might even do that one too.

Reply to
Doug

NP. Just trying to give you some encouragement. :-) I forgot No. 5

  1. Go and reset all the electric clocks in the house. :-)
Reply to
willshak

Easiest way to do the whole box is to pull the electric meter, and then call the electric co to tell them after the fact so they know why the seal has been broken when they come to read it the next cycle.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I'm thinking that somewhere a long the way he should probably remove the hot wire from the old breaker and then reconnect it to the new one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some meters, just cut the plastic tag. Other meters have a hardened ring and that goofy lock with the hole in the end. Might not be a simple action to pull the meter.

.

Easiest way to do the whole box is to pull the electric meter, and then call the electric co to tell them after the fact so they know why the seal has been broken when they come to read it the next cycle.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Naah, just leave the old hot wire hanging with the old breaker attached.

.

I'm thinking that somewhere a long the way he should probably remove the hot wire from the old breaker and then reconnect it to the new one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually I was thinking of doing something stupid and lighting up like a Christmas tree until I get fried. Then my wife can put me out with the trash :( .

Reply to
Doug

Home Depot does not accept returns of circuit breakers. At least that's my understanding.

Reply to
HeyBub

The Houston area has hardened seals that cannot be (easily) removed.

The way it's done here is to call Centerpoint and request a meter un-sealing. Within six hours a utility truck will show up and the driver will remove the seal.

When you're done with your electrical business, call them back to re-seal the meter. They will (should) respond within 12 hours.

Centerpoint does NOT want to see permits, signatures of licensed electricians, or anything else.

Reply to
HeyBub

I wished I had done that. I worked on an old box that didn't have main breaker. I was actually replacing a bad terminal on one hot lead. I was very careful, but still foolish. Later I had the box replaced by electrician. A coworker was expelling the term plasma.

Greg

Reply to
gregz