Circuit breaker panel cabinet knock-outs.

My circuit breaker panel cabinet has 2 existing, already-installed breakers with nothing attached. I would like to use one as a dedicated line for a spare refrigerator in the basement. All of the existing bx-cables exit the cabinet from the top, and _every_ existing panel knock-out on the top of the cabinet is occupied. There are knock-outs on the side of the cabinet, but I’m wondering, is there some rule or code that prohibits exiting from the side?
All advice appreciated. Thanks. -Theodore.
Add pictures here
✖
My circuit breaker panel cabinet has 2 existing, already-installed breakers with nothing attached. I would like to use one as a dedicated line for a spare refrigerator in the basement. All of the existing bx-cables exit the cabinet from the top, and _every_ existing panel knock-out on the top of the cabinet is occupied. There are knock-outs on the side of the cabinet, but I’m wondering, is there some rule or code that prohibits exiting from the side?
No. If there is room go ahead and use a side knockout.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No. Go for it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:28:36 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not that I've even heard of. I'm not an electrician but I think the mnfgr made side-knockouts for you (and me) to use as necessary. That's not to say that, if there are 3k little municipalities in the US, a handful won't have some funny rules.
Sounds like some kind soul anticipated need of new circuits and outfitted 'em. 15 amp?
I doubt your avg. spare fridge requires a dedicated circuit, but if you put one on an existing circuit, ya gotta know the max amperages load.
AQ
"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
Add pictures here
✖

I thought a refrigerator was supossed to be on it's own dedicated circuit? Tony
Add pictures here
✖
Anthony Diodati wrote:

I don't know if it's REQUIRED, but, if possible, it sounds like a good idea. If something else that shares the circuit with the fridge goes a little funny in the head (diswasher, toaster, etc.), you lose hundreds of bucks worth of food.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 25, 3:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Use the side KO's if you wish, or drill the correct sized hole in the top if there is enough room left for an additional hole. If you use the side holes you may want to use right angle BX connectors to keep things tidy.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
It's just apperances. Don't expect to win a beauty award for your panel.
I've found knock outs sometimes work better if you pound from inside out. Don't use your replacable tip screw driver for pounding, or the screw driver won't work right any more.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus