Circuit breaker keeps tripping

Page 9 of 9

I've installed Square-D panels where there twistouts that must not be removed because the busbars to which breakers are attached aren't long enough. Square-D does this so they can offer different SKU's that support fewer or more breakers and use the same twistout panel, enclosure and cover for all of them.
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 1:27:52 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

That makes sense. My curiosity would still cause me to remove the panel. ;-)
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 14:25:43 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"

I was kidding. I thought it meant don't remove them until you need to. But you all have convinced me it means something else.
Yes, there are half-wide breakers, if you have no more empty spaces. But you have to buy two.

Looks like he is replacing half-wide already

I don't think he can do that.
He has empty spots where a new breaker could be placed, but it clearly says "Do not remove this twistout". I think he's stuck.
Sorry, I forgot the picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i5692c&s=9#.VqItsU-H1yV
See?

In wrote:

If that is a phot of the OP's panel, then it does look like it is full. And, there must be a reason for the tags that say not to remove the twistout at the bottom.
But, it looks like there may be a breaker on the bottom left that says "spare" even though it is set to "ON". So, maybe that is a spare slot.
Or, another option may be to take out a full single breaker and repalce it with a split breaker that creates two circuits from that one panel slot.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:18:33 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"

Not more than once, and I don't think it could do it even once.
I've had 5 or 10 things over the years for which I could find no explanation. It was almost like God was doing these things, but they were too trivial to take up his time. So maybe he was teaching me a lesson, but since I didn't learn a lesson, that doesn't seem like it either.

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:19:58 -0500, Micky wrote:

I can blame the rain, for now...
We'll see.
It's cloudy today.
Rain will be back though.
In typed:

Although it is a longshot, if you said at some point that your electrical problem coincided with it raining outside, it is possible that the rain did cause the problem. It seems unlikely, but it is possible.
I once had a problem with a tripped breaker during a heavy rainstorm and when I opened the panel I discovered that there was water dripping inside the panel -- yikes! It was a long saga and I posted a lot about it here at the time.
I turned the main power off and called the utility company. Strangely, they said it is not their problem and they would not come out to look at it. They said I had to call an electrician. In the end, it turned out that water was getting into the meter box on the outside of the house and then was dripping down INSIDE the main feed wire coming from the meter box to the inside panel and it was dripping into the panel box from there. I eventually solved the problem myself by super-sealing the meter box outside so no water could get in. In my case, I could see the water when I took the panel cover off. I forget if you said that you had taken your panel cover off or not.
If your issue was caused by rain (again, unlikely in my opinion, but possible), then maybe when the rain stopped everything dried out and you could then reset the problem breaker.

That depends on which God it is. Some have a sense of humor, the others are nasty and like to inflict pain ! :)
Since you did not learn a lesson, you get an "F".

Perhaps not in the 120 volt AC world, but I've seen 12 volt automotive bulbs blow 10 or 15 fuses before the mechanic figured it out - and changed the bulb. I've had the experience of being the second mechanic called in to find the problem when the first mechanic gave up

I don't know for sure, but I thought the old standard 120 volt bulbs had a weak link or something like that inside them that acted as a fuse.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:18:33 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"

I'd be replacing that breaker - for sure. Real cheap insurance. Turning off the power didn't "fix" it, it just allowed you to manually operate the breaker several times, which shifted something in the breaker, temporarily allowing it to stay on. Might not trip now with a fault.
DON"T TAKE A CHANCE.

For advice on the many thousands of things a homeowner is qualified to repair without danger.
Electrical work isn't one of them.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:30:37 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

It's fixed.