Circuit breaker keeps tripping

But his tripped over and over again, not just when the bulb failed (if it even tripped then).

He didn't say he pushed it to Off as part of resetting it, but he did say he pushed it to Off several times and later to On, so functionally, that's the same thing.

Reply to
Micky

There seems to be a US vs global difference between Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering.

For example, RIT (and MIT) offer an a Electrical Engineering degree which appears to encompass both disciplines.

However, this description of the 2 degrees discusses who gets what type of degree through which program in India:

I have an EE of the Electrical version but most of my classes dealt with semi-conductors, even 30+ years ago. None of the courses I took covered residential wiring.

I looked at (quickly) at MIT's and RIT's current curriculum for their Electrical Engineering degrees and I don't see anything related to residential wiring.

There is no reason to conclude that anyone with an Electrical Engineering degree learned about residential wiring via the curriculum that led to that degree.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't know about that. My brother-in-law majored in electrical engineering and he had a minor in home wiring. (He's been in Asia on vacation or I would have called him for advice on your problem.) At MIT, no less.

The Morristown Institute of Technology is one of the 10 best technical institutes in northwestern New Jersey.

My sister called to say they just got back and I learned that he did his thesis on circuit breakers.

Micky

Reply to
Micky

Yikes. A screw holding a metal rack touching a hot wire. Not good.

Most of the time I hear of people getting shocked by stoves is when some homeowner wires the stove backward (if its 110VAC).

Apparently they seem to think that a neutral is the "same" as the hot wire, since the stove still works either way.

Reply to
E. Robinson

I'm gonna replace the breaker as a matter of course. However, I do need to map the circuit to see what is affected by it.

I will keep an eye out, especially at the next rainstorm.

Reply to
E. Robinson

Not more than once, and I don't think it could do it even once.

I've had 5 or 10 things over the years for which I could find no explanation. It was almost like God was doing these things, but they were too trivial to take up his time. So maybe he was teaching me a lesson, but since I didn't learn a lesson, that doesn't seem like it either.

Reply to
Micky

I'd say that is a fair assessment.

We learn a lot of *other* stuff.

But not residential wiring.

Reply to
E. Robinson

I can blame the rain, for now...

We'll see.

It's cloudy today.

Rain will be back though.

Reply to
E. Robinson

I would replace it too.

Easiest way to trace outlets is with a plug in radio. Plug it in, (LOUD) shut off breaker. If it stops playing, that outlet is on that breaker. Saves a lot of running around. Lights are a lot easier. Turn all of them on. Shut off that braker and see which ones go off.

You could have an outdoor outlet on that breaker too and that is why rain effected it. Check them too. Outdoor ones should be a seperate breaker and have a GFI outlet, but that dont mean it was wired properly.

Dont forget range hood, exhaust fans, heat tapes, garbage disposal furnace, basement/attic outlets and lights, sump pump, etc.

I like to trace my whole house and write it, and hang it near the box. Those diagrams on the breaker box door are never big enough.

You could have water leaking into your breaker box if the entrance head is loose or cracked (if it's overhead wires). I have seen that happen!

Reply to
Paintedcow

If it keeps tripping, it could be in drugs !

Reply to
Paintedcow

That depends on which God it is. Some have a sense of humor, the others are nasty and like to inflict pain ! :)

Since you did not learn a lesson, you get an "F".

Reply to
Paintedcow

I'd be replacing that breaker - for sure. Real cheap insurance. Turning off the power didn't "fix" it, it just allowed you to manually operate the breaker several times, which shifted something in the breaker, temporarily allowing it to stay on. Might not trip now with a fault.

DON"T TAKE A CHANCE.

Reply to
clare

I got all my degrees from "the school of hard knocks" Different degrees of knowlege in different subjects

If you are going to learn one trade well that will teach you the basics of most of the others, learn auto mechanics. Hydraulics, electrical/electronics, machinist, plumbing - you get the basics of all of them - and you learn how to take out screws and remove covers too.

Reply to
clare

Excellent call!! You have a few extra "slots" available if the buss is burned.

Reply to
clare

Can't remember if you said before, but what brand is the panel?

Reply to
clare

There are so many different disciplines in electrical engineering. You can major in power transmission, power generation, microwave transmission, communications, and several hundred other "specialties. The beauty of specialization is you learn more and more about less and less untill eventually you know absolutely all there is to know about nothing

Reply to
clare

Perhaps not in the 120 volt AC world, but I've seen 12 volt automotive bulbs blow 10 or 15 fuses before the mechanic figured it out - and changed the bulb. I've had the experience of being the second mechanic called in to find the problem when the first mechanic gave up

Reply to
clare

I have *had* that happen. When it happens, the water will run inside the outer jacket of the service cable, even uphill, and enter the box.

When I had my problem, it was after an ice storm that pulled the cable off of the house. Before I had a chance to fix it at the top of the house, I was getting water in the box during thaws. There was a dip in the cable where it ran horizontal before coming into the house. That dip was the lowest part of the cable, so the water was running uphill (slightly) before it came into the house. Think of a trap, but much, much shallower. Just a dip. I cut a tiny slit in the outer jacket at the bottom of the dip and water dripped out for a few minutes. I never got any more water in the box after that. In the spring I fixed the cable at the top of the house then siliconed the slit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't recall what the brand was.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't know for sure, but I thought the old standard 120 volt bulbs had a weak link or something like that inside them that acted as a fuse.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery