Circuit breaker keeps tripping

Page 3 of 9
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 19:56:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

That's true. I had a fusebox that was on drugs. But it had a good connection.
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 11:14:27 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:

Congrats, you said something amusing...
On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 2:15:53 PM UTC-6, E. Robinson wrote:

I've had bulbs cause a dead-short...the wires that hold the filament get crossed.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:21:45 -0800, bob_villain wrote:

Certainly a light bulb dead short *can* happen. Did it happen? I dunno.
I will let you know, but most importantly, to those who did *not* say "call an electrician you stupid twerp", I do very much appreciate your help.
To those who said I should have known all about home wiring, because I have a degree in EE, I ask which of these books do you think I would have found this information in?
Would I have learned the information in this class on Assembly Language?
https://i.imgur.com/OQjYooU.jpg
Or, maybe this class on the Design of Microcomputer Based Medical Instruments?
https://i.imgur.com/F56aGrJ.jpg
Maybe this class on VLSI chip design?
https://i.imgur.com/lWXyMly.jpg
On 1/21/2016 4:35 PM, E. Robinson wrote:

In the case of the lights at church, this here stupid twerp (named below) was bested by a paid guy. Sigh.

From the textbooks you list, it would appear that your EE degree is in Electronics Engineering, which would lead me to immediately conclude that you know absolutely nothing about residential electrical wiring -- whereas I would have the opposite conclusion about an Electrical Engineer.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:55:06 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

I am an Electrical Engineer, however, *most* of my graduate work is in microprocessor and chip design.
I spent the last 15 years designing chips, but went into management of chip designers for the next 15 years.
We didn't have "electronics" engineers way back then. At least not at my school.
To paraphrase someone here, every EE knows Ohms law. :)
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 23:36:43 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"

I never heard of electronics engineers until I read this thread.

That's OK, most of them have never heard of you either.
On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 5:57:56 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:

There seems to be a US vs global difference between Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering.
For example, RIT (and MIT) offer an a Electrical Engineering degree which appears to encompass both disciplines.
https://www.rit.edu/kgcoe/electrical/about/program-overview
However, this description of the 2 degrees discusses who gets what type of degree through which program in India:
http://www.engineering.careers360.com/electronics-vs-electrical-engineering
I have an EE of the Electrical version but most of my classes dealt with semi-conductors, even 30+ years ago. None of the courses I took covered residential wiring.
I looked at (quickly) at MIT's and RIT's current curriculum for their Electrical Engineering degrees and I don't see anything related to residential wiring.
There is no reason to conclude that anyone with an Electrical Engineering degree learned about residential wiring via the curriculum that led to that degree.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 17:14:09 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'd say that is a fair assessment.
We learn a lot of *other* stuff.
But not residential wiring.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:15:48 +0000, E. Robinson wrote:

Actually, it can't possibly have been the bulb because, unless the light switch is defective, I had turned *off* all the light switches.
So, the dead short was most likely somewhere else.
On 2016-01-21 4:47 PM, E. Robinson wrote:

I would suggest the problem still exists, if you didn't find a fault, it will happen again, or your house will burn down.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 1/21/2016 4:57 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

If it trips breakers for more than four hours, consult your electrician immediately.
You may have ED, Electrical Dysfunction.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 16:57:56 -0500, FrozenNorth wrote:

The house won't burn down, unless the breaker is actually bad. The breaker seems to have done its job. My gut feeling is that there was a dead short.
The question is where.
However, it's cheap enough to replace the breaker, so, I'll buy a new breaker and replace it, as a cautionary measure.
On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 6:37:53 PM UTC-5, E. Robinson wrote:

The house may burn down if that dead short is now just a partial short. That Ohm's Law and basic electricity thing again.

The house may burn down if that dead short is now just a partial short. That Ohm's Law and basic electricity thing again.
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 7:35:09 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:

...better have that checked...are we here to help or critique his place of matriculation?
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 8:45:16 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

Look, I did help him. I told him to try switching wires with an adjacent breaker. And it wasn't I that introduced his education into it. It was the OP. He's claiming that a degreed electrical engineer doesn't have the training to be able to debug that simple problem. I find that sadly ridiculous and not reflective of the many EE's that I know. He seems to expect that he has to have a course on how to debug house circuits, instead of just applying electricity 101, which is even less than EE level.

I think you ought to replace it with an arc-fault breaker. If *that* trips, then it's time to find out what's wrong with your wiring.
On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 3:47:13 PM UTC-6, E. Robinson wrote:

Are you sure you don't have a pot rack? ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡° )