Circuit breaker as switch?

I want to semi-permanently turn off two spas/whirlpools that came with the house we bought last summer. (They have "on" buttons that I think are too easy to push.)
The only way I can see to do this---I can't get at the guts of the things easily because the guy who set it up thoughtfully enclosed everything---is at the circuit breaker.
Any harm in using the breaker as a switch, as long as I don't plan on switching it back and forth much? I figure it would be "off" for months at least.
snipped-for-privacy@jqpx37.cotse.net wrote:

Our company has all our stores shut down/off multiple breakers daily (lighting and equipment). I have never heard of a problem caused by this. We have thousands of stores across N/A. New stores and some remodels have had relays installed but we continue the practice in a majority of our stores.
message wrote:

my spa actually circulates 24/7 and can only be shut off by flipping the breaker. it' a feature.lol.
--
C.D

snipped-for-privacy@jqpx37.cotse.net wrote:

No harm at all. Shops and factories use breakers as light switches routinely.

breakers are ideal heavy duty switches.
why not just turn off the breakers serving the tubs? they should be on dedicated breakers
Get a switch rated breaker. I think they have SWR on them.

Bill wrote:

But only when the current breaker wears out from too much switching (which should be several decades at least).
Bill wrote:

SWD is for regularly switching fluorescent lights. Been a while - I think most 15 & 20A breakers are SWD.
HID is for regularly switching high-intensity discharge lighting.
For occasional switching the spas there should be no problem with any breaker.

if the tub is off when breaker is turned off or on switch rated doesnt matter, since its switching a load thats already off..........
On Apr 27, 7:48am, snipped-for-privacy@jqpx37.cotse.net wrote:

Like others mentioned, switching at the breaker wont work because you will be shutting off your heaters, filter and circulator which you really want running all the time. What you apparently want to switch differently are the jets. For that you will have to continue using the existing jet switch, or make some kind of lock box over the existing jet switch, or replace the existing jet switch with something like key switch. Flipping off the breakers will only make your tub unuseable, grow algae, get cold, etc.

Also if shutting off the breaker "for months at least", you may as well just drain the tub and lines. A hot tub switched off for months will have unsanitary water when you get back, (even if the chlorine tablets do last that long), due to no circulation of chlorine (or bromine) through the lines.
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:57:22 -0700, RickH wrote:

Thought I'd mention the problem I had when I shut off my hot tub during the summer (after draining). The pump was frozen when I turned it back on in the winter. I found out it needed some manual help to get going. Someone said the seal stuck after it dried out. Maybe it's no big deal, now that I know, but at the time I thought I was going to need a new pump and/or motor. Lately I just turn the thermostat down for the summer. The pump is on a timer and runs 2 hours a day to circulate the water. I keep the chlorine level correct. It does use a little electricity, though.

No problem