circ pump noise? (hot water heat)

In our new house, which I am still exploring, there is hot water heat with two zones (two pumps, one boiler).

One of the pumps, while not noisier than the other one when I'm standing next to them, creates a sound all over the house (even in the other zone). It is a low drdrdrdrdr sound like a cheap motor scooter in the distance.

It's a B&G "Little Red" pump, 1/20 hp, for heating maybe 400 sq ft (a newer addition). It appears to work OK (delivers heat). It has been lubricated.

Is it the pump, or something in its connection to the rest of the system?

If the pump, are these pumps by any chance "hot-swappable" (i.e. chageable without draining the system)? It seems to have one piece inline with the water, and the rest of the pump is mounted onto that piece from the side, but I don't know if it can be disassembled at that point.

Note, again, that the pump isn't particularly noisy when I am standing next to it. I don't know if that means anything.

Reply to
Chuckles

Can you read the model number of the circ? It may be a close coupled circ that can be changed easily....

Reply to
HeatMan

I take it you never seen a "Little Red" heat man. Small throw away pump like Taco 007.

Reply to
James Storm

would you like a list of all the pumps B&G sells under the 'little red' name? Is it a cartridge pump? is it close coupled (probably not, but possible), etc...

Reply to
HeatMan

There are only two. One is a potable water pump (LR15), which leaves only one for hydronic use, LR20BF, which is what I have. If you have a longer list, don't hesitate to post it here.

I did find a web page for a supply store that said these were throwaway pumps, and this is confirmed by the fact that B&G doesn't provide instructions or sell bearing replacement parts. So I will replace the whole pump, which is something I can do myself without too much trouble. The new pump will cost $140 by mail, with shipping.

Reply to
Chuckles

Actually there are 4. BTW, the LR15, unless you forgot to add the 'BF,' is not for potable water. It's an iron bodied circ.

Yeah it is a throw away. Buy 2. I've heard that B&G are about to discontinue manufacture of that line. I don't believe it, but I've heard it from a couple of different sources.

Reply to
HeatMan