Cinder block wall

I have an interior cinder block wall in a room in my basement. I'm making this room into a bathroom. I'd like to conserve space and not frame this one wall. My goal is to have a smooth wall to match the sheetrock walls in the rest of the room. My questions are; Is there any type of plaster or mix I can spread on the block? If I use a mix or something, would caulking be best to make the joint at the sheetrock ceiling? Also I want a shower kit on this block wall, should I do anything different behind it? And a little off the subject is green sheetrock needed on the ceiling & every wall in bathroom, or just where it might get wet? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
--
J Hawkes

Why bother with a mess. Why don't you just glue or screw sheet rock to the cinderblock ? OR You can frame the wall with 1x 2 strapping, that will only take up 3/4'' plus the thickness of the sheet rock, it will give you something to screw to. "Green" sheet rock has a mildew guard, I would advise using this plus an oil paint to repel water. Caulking will not do as a subsitute for a properly taped joint with compound. Lastly, make sure you have an exhaust fan and heat in there to combat mold.

Right on. TB

If you live an in area that has warm climate, it is possible to put the drywall right on the block. If you live in a cooler area, the two inches of some framing and insulation will be much better off comfort and utility wise it is worth the space loss.
J Hawkes wrote:

You can plaster right on to the block wall, or you can bond drywall directly to the block with a skim coat of joint compound.
If you want to have a waterproof installation for a tiled shower, you can use a brush on liquid waterproofing membrane such as http://tinyurl.com/8gn3r , which can also be used in lieu of a separate shower pan liner. Then you can tile right over the membrane with modified thinset.
BTW, if you're going to tile forget greenboard. The stuff sucks, is not even close to waterproof and is just meant to hold up a _little_ better to moisture (not water) than standard drywall. Use a backerboard, such as Wedi, Durock, Hardiboard or Wonderboard if you're going with tile.
If you're intending to use a vinyl shower surround, you don't have to do anything special to the wall behind it. Just glue it up.
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:19:47 +0000, J Hawkes

Stucco plaster. It is water proof and they can make it slick as glass. It does take a real plasterer and not the regular parge mechanic.