cinder block cover

One end of my house is on a slab foundation. The other end is raised about four feet and has a crawl space.
On the end that's raised, cinder blocks were used on top of a concrete foundation. The builder used some kind of finish on the exterior of the cinder blocks which are above grade to make them appear smooth and to hide all the joints of the cinder blocks.
What type of "mud" or "mix" (for lack of better terms) is commonly used to achieve a smoother texture to the blocks which are then (in my case) painted the same color of the house? Thanks for your help.

http://www.cement.org/stucco/
says...

What's the difference between stucco and parging?
Banty

The finish texture. Parging is just trowled smooth, stucco has some texture to it. It is all basically sand and portland cement with some admixes to make it stick better and go on easier.
says...

Thanks!
Banty
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
-snip-

I always use a mortar to do my parge coats. It is stickier & it seems to go on smoother for me. [not a mason- and only do this every 5 years or so it seems]
Jim

Type N mortar is not hard enough to use for parging.
Kevin wrote:

Sheran Williams Paint Co at one time put out a paint compound called block filler that did the trick You applied it with a trowel like stucco.