Cigarette Smoke Detector

Page 2 of 2
On Thu 08 Sep 2005 10:03:57p, chemqueries wrote in alt.home.repair:

WHAT A CROCK!
--
Wayne Boatwright **
chemqueries wrote:

I'd give you the right to stay home.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

He needs to contact a local attorney. Local laws will dictate both what would be considered acceptable evidence, how it may be obtained and even if it is legal at all.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
replying to pennsylady2002, droyce wrote:

Yes there are such things........ Trying to find the price on them and some reviews ..... now that is a bit more problematic.
So far I have found this site that has no prices.... thinking it might be expensive, but the beauty of it is that you can have it send you a text message. I do not know if any laws would prevent this type of thing....... given that it is legal (in my state) to have a lease that says no smoking..... I would guess it is, but because I would figure it was only effective if the tenant didn't know about it, I am not sure that part is legal. :(
http://www.cigarettesmokedetector.com/evidence-collection.htm
I also found this one..... but it is from the UK and because it uses the Lithium battery they cant ship it to the US.... (You could contact them to see if they can ship without the battery and if there is one in the US that can be used instead.)
https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Puff-Alert-Cigarette-Smoke-Detector-and-Remote-LED-Indicator.html
tobacco smoke is a scurge on our world. adults shouldnt be allowed to smok e around children, since its really CHILD ABUSE. and should be proscuted. I grew up in a smoking home, it was horrible. I was always sick with ear in fections colds etc. even children around a smoking parent who only smokes o utside can gets ill from the stentch on their clothes
To mitigate odors, including urine stentch, tobacco stentch. whatever the s tink..... heres how to solve it. you cant clean it off to get rid of odors, since they are absorbed into walls, floors etc.
first scrub everything down with real TSP cleaner, then rinse 3 times with fresh water so the tsp doesnt interer with sealer adhesion, then paint all walls etc with the oil bassed kilz, give it 2 coats, leave a day or two be tween to allow it to dry. toss everything like carpeting. with wood floors sand and refinish, with OIL BASED POLYURETHANE. if you use water based poly everytime the weather is moist the smell will reappear. have all ductwork cleaned and deodorized, and the furnace and AC coil. every surface must be sealed with something..you should probably replace all vinyl floors to be s afe..
Its impossible to clean off, the best you can do is seal in the odor
now landlords dont like this because not only does it cost a fortune to do it right, but it takes TIME. so a home might be unavailable for rental for at least a extra month, while all this time consuming work is done:(
FIRE RESTORATION companies do this after home fires, it cost megabucks.
I was a landlord for awhile and put in the lease it was non smoking. fortun ately the tenant and their family didnt like smoke stink so it was never a issue
In the OPs case it might be best to rip down fancy cielings and replace wit h drywall if the cieling gets stinky