Cigar smell, no cigars

Our house is developing a cigar-smoke smell, and there have never been any cigars inside the house (not at all, much less lit ones) in the 5-1/2 years we've been here.
It's mostly near the cold-air return for the furnace (the ceiling in a hallway area outside the bathroom), and mostly when the furnace blower is off. We can't smell it coming out of any of the vents when the blower is running. The CO detector reads zero at all times until air from the garage gets in after we park the car, at which time it will read 30 to 70 depending on exposure.
Cigarettes were allowed in the house, but there haven't been any in over a year, and anyway this doesn't smell like cigarettes in any way at all. This is not the smell of smoke that remains on clothing and walls after smoking, this smells very much like dilute secondhand cigar smoke.
--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
Three feet

re: Three eights of an inch
I still want to know how long "3 eights of an inch" is.

.888 inch?

Mark Lloyd
DerbyDad03 wrote:

0.375"
--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

clifto wrote:

I think I'd be more concerned that the CO detector EVER reads "30 to 70." What units are those?

Aren't they PPM (Parts Per Million)?

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I believe so. It's not a concern because when the door is open, the car tailpipe is about ten feet from the detector. If we do anything but drive straight in and douse the engine immediately, there's going to be a little cloud of exhaust at the back door.
--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

Seems fairly possible that your blower motor or some other furnace component is overheating. Turn off the power, open the cover and carefully check inside after the unit has shut off.
Don Young
Charles wrote:

3. 19 months between the last cigarette in the house and the start of the smell.

I could almost go with that, if the smell had shown up within 18 months of the last smoking. Even the wife, who always hated smoking in the house, didn't smell this before a week or two ago.

My first full-time electronics job started over forty years ago, so I'm pretty familiar with smells from electrical burning, including insulation. This isn't even close.
--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

Definitely haunted. Cut up a 4x4 section of the basement floor and look for indian bones (or a cigar store indian, that might be it).
still just me wrote:

THAT'S the problem, there is no basement!
--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

Charles wrote:

Not a thing. Not even household cleaners in that area or nearby.
AFAICT none of the neighbors smokes anything other than cigarettes, so it's probably not coming from outside.
--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

clifto wrote: : Charles wrote:
: : wrote... : : : : : Our house is developing a cigar-smoke smell, and there have : : : : : never been any : : : : : cigars inside the house (not at all, much less lit ones) in : : : : : the 5-1/2 years we've been here. : : : : : : : : 1. Near the cold-air return when the blower is off. : : : : 2. Cigarettes were used in the house. : : : : : : 3. 19 months between the last cigarette in the house and the : : : start of the smell. : : : : : : : Cigarettes are little cigars ... and they can smell about the : : : : same under certain conditions. When the blower is off, it is : : : : possible to have a reverse flow of air and an exchange of : : : : stored odors (due to built-up tars and nicotine). : : : : : : I could almost go with that, if the smell had shown up within 18 : : : months of the last smoking. Even the wife, who always hated : : : smoking in the house, didn't smell this before a week or two ago. : : : : : : : Or, it could be an electrical problem with overheated : : : : insulation, which can : : : : produce all kinds of odors. : : : : : : My first full-time electronics job started over forty years ago, : : : so I'm pretty familiar with smells from electrical burning, : : : including insulation. This isn't even close. : : : : Any other information? Pesticides or fungicides used recently? : : Not a thing. Not even household cleaners in that area or nearby. : : AFAICT none of the neighbors smokes anything other than cigarettes, so : it's probably not coming from outside.
Take a look here: http://www.air-zone.com/shock.html or google "ozone shock treatment"
Larry
The obvious answer is start smoking cigars.