Cigar smell, no cigars

Our house is developing a cigar-smoke smell, and there have never been any cigars inside the house (not at all, much less lit ones) in the 5-1/2 years we've been here.

It's mostly near the cold-air return for the furnace (the ceiling in a hallway area outside the bathroom), and mostly when the furnace blower is off. We can't smell it coming out of any of the vents when the blower is running. The CO detector reads zero at all times until air from the garage gets in after we park the car, at which time it will read 30 to 70 depending on exposure.

Cigarettes were allowed in the house, but there haven't been any in over a year, and anyway this doesn't smell like cigarettes in any way at all. This is not the smell of smoke that remains on clothing and walls after smoking, this smells very much like dilute secondhand cigar smoke.

Reply to
clifto

re: Three eights of an inch

I still want to know how long "3 eights of an inch" is.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think I'd be more concerned that the CO detector EVER reads "30 to

70." What units are those?
Reply to
CJT

Seems fairly possible that your blower motor or some other furnace component is overheating. Turn off the power, open the cover and carefully check inside after the unit has shut off.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

.888 inch?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Aren't they PPM (Parts Per Million)?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

0.375"
Reply to
clifto

I believe so. It's not a concern because when the door is open, the car tailpipe is about ten feet from the detector. If we do anything but drive straight in and douse the engine immediately, there's going to be a little cloud of exhaust at the back door.

Reply to
clifto

  1. 19 months between the last cigarette in the house and the start of the smell.

I could almost go with that, if the smell had shown up within 18 months of the last smoking. Even the wife, who always hated smoking in the house, didn't smell this before a week or two ago.

My first full-time electronics job started over forty years ago, so I'm pretty familiar with smells from electrical burning, including insulation. This isn't even close.

Reply to
clifto

Definitely haunted. Cut up a 4x4 section of the basement floor and look for indian bones (or a cigar store indian, that might be it).

Reply to
still just me

Not a thing. Not even household cleaners in that area or nearby.

AFAICT none of the neighbors smokes anything other than cigarettes, so it's probably not coming from outside.

Reply to
clifto

THAT'S the problem, there is no basement!

Reply to
clifto

Take a look here:

or google "ozone shock treatment"

Larry

Reply to
Larry

The obvious answer is start smoking cigars.

Reply to
GWB