cicuit breaker question

I want add a new breaker to my box (this is an empty spot). My question is are they a lot of different types of breakers? I am going to go to home depot to buy one so I want to know before I go if there is a model number or something I need? Hopefully there are only a couple sizes and I can tell by looking at them.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob

There are about a dozen or so different sizes and shapes. I suggest you note the brand and maybe take a picture and bring the camera.

Reply to
peter

Probably not...open the panel and it will have a list of approved breakers for the panel. If you're lucky it will be on the door, if not you'll have to take the cover off to get to it. But, it will be there (unless, of course, some prior idjit has obliterated it)...

If you're thinking of adding a large capacity breaker (>30 A), you should do a load capacity calculation before just making the addition.

Reply to
dpb

I am splitting off one line that has a kegerator, full size fridge and 5000 btu AC, and varius other junk running on it. I am adding a new 30 and moving over the two fridges. My breakers never throw but I often get voltage drops on that line. I hope this will help.

Reply to
Bob

It should help, just use big enough wires for the new 30A branch. #10 I believe.

Never tripped, you must have never had all 4 turn on at exactly the same time (4x startup current). Kind of like a slot machine. Just the right combination and you end up mopping the floor in the morning.

BTW, if the original breaker had tripped many times in the past but then kind of stopped, it may not be working the way it should anymore and you might want to replace it at the same time. It still may trip due to a dead short but will it trip at the rated value, that's harder to proove.

Reply to
PipeDown

Andy suggests:

I always try to remove an existing breaker that I can do without for an hour and take it to the store with me..... It allows me to compare all the little plastic hooks and metal plugs with the new one to make sure it will fit........ Sure, it's a little more trouble, but it's foolproof.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy