Church without power

Relative to what? Seems like a lot of water wasted if you want warm water to rinse your hands. I'd run a smaller pipe or a recirculating system that is timed to run only at time the building is likely to be occupied.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

many years ago I worked at a company, the new owner decided to elminate heat in most of the building to save money. he ordered the sprinkler system turned off and drained. plumbers worked for days blowing down the system. it was freezing weather.

a month later the fire marshall paid a visit and ordered the building evacuated and condemed unless the sprnkler system was turned back on

so the heating system was reactivated, and they turned the water to the sprinklers back on.

a major flood occured, many areas had low spots in the lines, so the plumbers spent 2 weeks replacing frozen broke sprinkler lines, and then converting to a dry sprinkler system.

rumors said they could of heated the warehouse all winter for the cost of the plumbers.

the plumbers smiled all the way to the bank.

before another winter the business closed, the building sold to the state for a highway project, and the building was demolished......

Better to install a generator to provide emergency heat, than blow out the lines.

the building can be used in a emergency as a neighborhood shelter

Reply to
bob haller

Just was in the building. It was "about" 110 steps from the water inlet to about where the water heaters are. 17 steps for me, equals 50 feet. So, from the inlet to the WH is about 300 plus feet of tubing.

Don't think I'll be able to blow that with a 5 gal tank from the gas station.

I'd like a recirc system, but who can tell. Not sure we'll ever get one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

decided to elminate heat in most of the building to save money. he ordered the sprinkler system turned off and drained. plumbers worked for days blowing down the system. it was freezing weather.

ordered the building evacuated and condemed unless the sprnkler system was turned back on

turned the water to the sprinklers back on.

in the lines, so the plumbers spent 2 weeks replacing frozen broke sprinkler lines, and then converting to a dry sprinkler system.

winter for the cost of the plumbers.

building sold to the state for a highway project, and the building was demolished......

heat, than blow out the lines.

neighborhood shelter

Thank you. that is real wisdom.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You better stop giving out hints, like 4 minutes to get hot water to the lady's room, 110 steps from the inlet to the WH, etc.

Keep that up and the next time I'm in your area I'll be able to figure out which church you work at.

Stalkingly yours,

DD03

Reply to
DerbyDad03

3/4" pipe contains 1.2cu.ft. per hundred feet. So your 300 ft. run is less than 4 cu.ft. or maybe 30 gallons. A 5gal tank costs $26 at HarborFrieght. How much pressure do you need to blow out the pipe? 14psi is good for a 30' rise.

I think you're wrong but suit yourself.

How would that help draining the pipe?

Reply to
krw

Oh, I'm terrified. I've got to, uh, I've got to. I'll think of something. What should I do!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

for the sink you could install a small point of use water heater, and only power it on when the building is occupied

Reply to
bob haller

I was writing in regard to how much air is needed to blow out the system. See my post an hour later for an expanded explaination.

Stormin' tried to make it seem like 12 gallons of air was a big deal from a compressor. It is not.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

He's not hard to find. He has a web page for his locksmith work. Put that address in Google and see a picture of his trailer. It was a thrill to me when I saw it.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Are Mormons into the baptism by drowning technique? I never saw a baptismal font with plumbing.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes, full immersion. I've not measured the font, but it's a couple hundred gallons anyway. 8 x 10 x 4 would be 320 cubic foot, or 2400 gal. I'll measure it some day, and that will allow Derby Dad to pinpoint where I work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

CY: Hope we never need to find out. I'll be in the building one day next week for other things. I'll check some of the pipe sizes. I'm sure it's at least 3/4, as I've mentioned. I really don't think a 5 gal tank is going to do the job.

CY: Not much. But, it would help provide hot water to the womens bathroom, so they don't complain.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This doesn't show as well as I'd like, but gets the idea some what.

The man, standing, is the priest. He says the baptismal prayer, and then baptizes by full immersion. Once, backwards.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many years ago I participated in a United Way Day Of Caring at a really old church that had been re-purposed as a community center. The main hall had been converted to a gym and a wall had been put up between the gym and the walk-in baptismal font. On the other side of the font there was a small office area.

Our job that day was to frame a floor over the font so that they could expand the office over the top of it. As anyone who has worked in an old building can imagine, it was quite a job, but by the time our team left that evening, it was ready for the plywood to be installed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've wondered what ever happens to fonts when the buildings are sold. Now and again, LDS chapels are sold when newer buildings are made. I could cynically figure that the font would make a rather large beer cooler, for parties.

Glad to hear you participate in community events. I do so also, when possible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin' is all about getting some attention. His "issues" are mostly not real. Any facts he is given are discarded - just massage him some more.

Stormin' comes off as if this is the first time someone ever thought of this - and it's all created by some political point he wants to drive home - and he alone has to save his church.

How many churches and other large buildings have lost power in cold weather? A lot. First, if the architects were are all competent, they included the necessary access points. Second, there has to be a big body of experience in many churches to tap. Instead he comes to a survival group and a HOME repair group to pose his question. There is expertise here, I'm sure, but not focused on big buildings.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Mormon women complain? Who wudda thunk.

Reply to
krw

Hot tub?

Reply to
krw

Yup

Read all the tabs. Just like his usenet posts. His expertise and training is that he watched his dad fix things and once got to fix a pizza oven. Nothing wrong with that but hardly a professional presentation.

You first.

Remember too, he's the one that posted he would "placate his neighbors with basketballs and fried chicken" if there was ever a SHTF situation. Me, thinks he is not on good terms with them.

Reply to
Winston_Smith