Church without power

Page 4 of 6
On 10/30/2013 08:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Main thing to worry about is the water pipes.
How cold is it and how long will the power going to be out?
If it's 32degrees outside and the power is going to be out for less than 24 hours there is not going to be anything to worry about... as it would take several days before the interior of the building is going to reach the "out-door" temperature.
Also, since it's unlikely you'd be able to blow all the water out of the lines...you'd be better off just to keep the water running slightly and flushing the toilets etc occasionally.
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:58:02 AM UTC-4, philo  wrote:

Yes, too little to go on. No length of time power is out 2 days? two months?, location, etc. How low the temp can go and for how long are c ritical questions. As you say, f it;s for a few days and the temps typical ly don't drop lower than the upper 20s and then only at night, I wouldn't worry.
On 10/30/2013 10:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: e.

I just looked at the long term weather forecast in Utah and freezing temps are not even predicted.
--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85KjUsEm0&feature=youtu.be

On 10/30/2013 11:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Never know with power cuts. I guess I can also bring thermometer in there, and see what the indoor temps do. Could retain heat longer than I think.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/30/2013 10:58 AM, philo wrote:

Nov 13 will probably be cold, but not bitter freezing. Sun shine in the day will provide some heat. Might be right, about leave the water dribble.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/30/2013 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Pray for warm weather...surprised you never thought of it. :-)
On 10/30/2013 10:11 AM, IGot2P wrote:
[snipp]

That seems like an appropriate solution there :-)
--
56 days until The winter celebration (Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:00 AM for 1
day).
On 10/30/2013 11:11 AM, IGot2P wrote:

Yes, you got me there. Thanks. I do need reminding.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/30/2013 09:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hold an emergency service, pass the collection plate then use the proceeds to pay the electric bill.
On 10/30/2013 11:58 AM, Tim and Jammy Baker wrote:

Not a payment issue. Is Tammy OK, from the time when all that make up on her face caught fire?
(from another list) Part 1) NatGeoTV: American Blackout (We Can Avert the Coming Misery)
A nationwide electric power failure is so realistically dramatized in this National Geographic television docu-drama, and is coincidentally aired both on and around the same time that a U.S. Government national power blackout drill is being conducted, that it appears that NatGeoTV is really relaying a government warning of a cyber-attack. The 911 attacks have shown that government fore- warnings and drills portending an attack on America always seem to culminate in actual government attacks, having an ulterior motive, which are deceitfully blamed on terrorists. The banking/ government combine appears to be preparing for a collapse of the dollar and a suspension of depositors' withdrawals. A nationwide blackout would surely quell public outrage over the seizures of depositors' life's savings by the big banking scoundrels, who have often demonstrated a talent for such devious grand larceny -- in this case, the grandest of all grand larcenies. Please click on the FULL Screen icon [__].
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRUFHlHwzQY&feature
-overview&list=UUaWUK8en5zzBf8xsafQshqw
The U.S. Government officially announces the threat of a nationwide power failure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?vEMSuW6yfeM

Per Stormin Mormon:

What kind of furnace heats the place? Does the hot water heater need electric?
Ours is nat gas/forced air and it only needs enough electric to power the blower (couple hundred watts). Our hot water is also gas.
During outages we run the house on a 2000 watt generator. It's definitely "Lifeboat" and not "Cruise Ship", but we have heat, TV, phone, and enough lights to get by. Small microwave and propane camp stoves for cooking...
If that's the case for the church, maybe an el-cheapo generator and a low-end cutover switch?
Gas storage might be mitigated if church members would drop by and contribute a few gallons to keep it running.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 10/30/2013 12:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Seven zones, all natural gas. Two are 460/3 systems, and five are 230/1 systems. Yes, someone out there might have a generator. If the NG is still on, might be able to heat one or two zones (one, then the other) and use fans to move the heat.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/30/2013 3:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't forget to drain the water heater. And DO use some antifreeze...in the toilet (bowl and tank), and a bit in each sink/shower drain trap.
On 10/30/2013 1:12 PM, Beachbum wrote:

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I'd forgotten. The WH are instant natural gas. Have to see if they have drains. shut off the NG, so they don't burn up when power comes back on.
I'd not remembered to pink the traps. And toilets. The church has 11 toilets, and assortment of sinks and floor drains.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Got hose bibs outside? Open them and leave em open. It will help drain anything above em.
--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
On 10/30/2013 1:27 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Yes, that's good idea. Wonder if I should shut off the water main first, and open all the other faucets? Naahhhh.... just the hose bibs until the water stops.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

    Or, you can also -     turn off any water heaters, and lock them out. (It could be as simple as a sign saying "Building has been Winterized, the water lines are empty." over the "on" switches.)     Open a faucet at the far end (or highest) of the building     Hook an air compressor to the hose bib (simple enough adaptor to connect the air line to the water line.     Pressurize the water line with air, and "blow it clear".     Add the anti-freeze to any toilet tanks.     MARK EVERYTHING.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,

The WH are upstairs in mechanical room. Few people know where they are, and few have key to that room. I've never tried to blow out a building that size. But, between gravity and air pressure, ought to work. I'd have to cancel all meetings, and that would be interesting. Not sure I have that authority. One of those "damn the torpedoes" and go ahead and do it anyway. I cancelled a satellite broadcast, one time. That was interesting.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:16:56 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What power cut? The government conspiracy one???
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:27:16 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:

It looks like they're having a drill to simulate a major power outage, not an actual outage.
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/09/blackout-for-november-confirmed-power-grid-drill-nov-13-14-2013-video-2778716.html
Still, I'll be sure to have some extra fuel for the generator.
Paul