Church deep cleaning (off topic)

Page 2 of 2
Give the sound system the once-over to make sure it's balanced, etc.
CY: Odd you should mention that. The sound in the gym is way loud. I could not find any adjuster for it.
Check for an odd volume knob 5.5 to 6 feet up on the wall opposite the stage. That's where ours is.
CY: We do have volume knobs in the foyers, and some other rooms. Might be where you say. Thanks for the field report.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Wash all vestments and linens, if applicable.
CY: We do use linen for the sacrament table.
Yes, those should be washed and dried. -- and spray starched and ironed. Even if it's to be folded. They just look more crisp.
CY: I'll have to see if we can find anyone who can do that. Not me, I'm sure.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Get an orange oil product and do the wooden doors to the chapel and the classroom doors. I also wipe down the wooden rail above the sisal with the same stuff. You have a huge 'to do' list. Good luck getting the Bro's and Sis's to do it all, though.
CY: Our typical church cleaning project lasts about two hours. I need to make some kind of a game, an adventure, out of it. I'm still working on that concept. Red team or blue team or something.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/17/2009 9:18 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Exorcism?

✖
Can you reccomend a good priest?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The ordinary cleaning tasks should be pretty obvious. What I would be most concerned about in a building used by large numbers of people are sanitation issues. Clean the kitchen, top to bottom, with strong detergent to remove grease followed by wipe-down with bleach for sanitation. Make sanitary cleaning regular. Hot enough water for washing eating utensils? Smoke alarm? Fire extinguisher? First aid kits? Thermostat and thermometer in the fridge are good? Stored food is dated, kept in secure containers?
Upholstered seating should be deep cleaned and treated with insecticide (for lice, bed-bugs, etc.) Hate to bring up stuff like that, but nowadays they are bigger issues than in the past. Regular pest control for the entire building - just routine termite inspection, check for insects in food areas and nurseries.
Flu season coming - areas used by children should get special attention, due to little ones nibbling on stuff they shouldn't, crawling on dirty floors, etc. If there is a nursery, wipe down cribs and toys regularly. Check cribs, chairs, changing tables for security; cribs for dangerous old features that can trap little ones. Same with banisters.
Check entire facility for slip/fall hazards - loose flooring or carpeting, insecure railings/banisters, poor lighting, slippery flooring that becomes dangerous if water is tracked in. Adequate, open emergency exits and signs? Weather radio? Wouldn't hurt to have FD do a walk-through.
CO and smoke alarms with audible AND visual signals. Emergency lights in case of power failure?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 18, 12:18 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Wiping things down and the like is nice, and I particularly liked the suggestion about thoroughly cleaning the nursery...probably should do something about the kitchen(s) at the same time.
More importantly - at least in my mind - is the question of environmental stewardship in the church's facility. Have an energy audit done of the facility to see where you're wasting electricity, gas, etc. on heating, cooling or lighting the building(s). Look for ways to get air blowing through rooms instead of using air conditioners. Encourage people to carpool to church.
Much more can be learned from the Interfaith Coalition on Energy, including finding energy auditors who specialize in church facilities: http://www.interfaithenergy.com /
Add pictures here
✖
Wiping things down and the like is nice, and I particularly liked the suggestion about thoroughly cleaning the nursery...probably should do something about the kitchen(s) at the same time.
CY: I susepct the nursery and primary are the major vectors of germs.
More importantly - at least in my mind - is the question of environmental stewardship in the church's facility.
CY: You're in luck. Christians are given stewardship of the Earth.
Have an energy audit done of the facility to see where you're wasting electricity, gas, etc. on heating, cooling or lighting the building(s).
CY: I'm all for spending money wisely.
Look for ways to get air blowing through rooms instead of using air conditioners. Encourage people to carpool to church.
CY: This last bit makes you sound like a tree hugging liberal.
Much more can be learned from the Interfaith Coalition on Energy, including finding energy auditors who specialize in church facilities: http://www.interfaithenergy.com /
CY: Are they tree hugging liberals?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 20, 7:47 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Add pictures here
✖
PatM wrote:

My employers (a federal agency) do the same thing. I've pointed out to them repeatedly that they are in violation of a presidential executive order that says Thou Shalt Turn Computers Off When Not In Use. They don't care, and basically have told me to shut up and sit down about it. What can ya do? I turn mine off, and once in a while it takes a few minutes extra to boot up while it plays catchup on patches, or slows down when they are scanning it.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
When I wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" quipped:

Aw, jeez, now you got me thinking I have to change the photo on the pastor's page at our website, or at least put one on a page about stewardship, where I'm hugging a tree... :-D
On a serious note, maybe I am a tree-hugging liberal these days. I just now the more theologically conservative I get, the more socially liberal it makes me - i.e., working for environmental stewardship, social justice, and equality for all people.
Which reminds me, pertinent to this group: reduce, reuse, recycle - ReStore! (http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx )
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 18, 12:18 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Did any one mention to clean the bats in your belfry?
:)
Thomas
Add pictures here
✖

get a energy audit where they pressurize your building looking for energy leaks
might be good to upgrade change door locks so too many keys arent out.
some churches have touchpads that unlock doors and take a digital image of the person entering.
check entire building for trip hazards detoriated walkways etc
Add pictures here
✖
get a energy audit where they pressurize your building looking for energy leaks
CY: Inflatabuilding?
might be good to upgrade change door locks so too many keys arent out.
CY: That has to be done by request of the leadership. Might happen if there is ever a problem.
some churches have touchpads that unlock doors and take a digital image of the person entering.
CY: Sounds neat.
check entire building for trip hazards detoriated walkways etc
CY: That's a first rate idea.
Add pictures here
✖
When they reach the age of accountability, we clean them in the battistry.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Thomas wrote:

My synagogue has Bat Mitzvahs.
Does that count?
Add pictures here
✖
my are you going to be busy, what have 3 shifts 24/7 for a week or more to do all this?
when your done please come do my house it needs cleaned bad
Add pictures here
✖

I know some of them Mormons. A close group of people and they will get the job dome as best as I tell.

Back east, try the Amish. Out west thing are different.
Add pictures here
✖

I don't think the Amish worry about cleaning their churches ... oh, wait, I don't think the Amish have churches.
Are there any Amish members in this NG who can confirm this??
Add pictures here
✖
Saturday at 10 AM all right with you?
--